Good, excellent divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

J1M1

Reaction score
What in your opinion seperates an excellent diver from a good diver. Is it your coolness in water under stress, your breathing rate, your ability to overcome critical situations. Just want to see what people will say, and what category do you put yourself in?

I believe it is your coolness, your ability to overcome the impossible when needed, and how responsible you are with the decisions you make while evolving, and with others.
I wood put myself in the good category always looking for ways to put myself in the excellent category

A good diver is one who is calm, cool, and collected at all times. One who can deal with any problem from kelp entanglement to Great White bite without their SAC breaking .30. One who can hold their position in the water column even if they decide to take a 1/2 hour nap. One who can find their way back to the anchor line maskless and finless.

A great diver is one that can blow bubble rings.

Good Diver: has excellent buoyancy control, doesn't exhibit panic under stress (even if he feels it), has patience for the inexperienced and respects the underwater environmental and fellow divers.

Great diver: Public Safety Divers and anyone who puts themselves in danger to save another.

An excellent diver in my opinion has the experience to understand fully the environment he/she is in, and has honed the skills neccessary to deal with any situation that might occur. They are an expert in buoyancy control, dive planning, and make the dive seem effortless in execution. They are comfortable in all the conditions they dive in, and they are confident in their abilities. The excellent diver is committed to training and currency, as the stagnant diver becomes lax and over confident. An excellent diver never takes anything for granted, and makes equipment checklists and preperation routine. If something is not right, an excellent diver will not let his/her ego override the opportunity to abort. They'll never tell you they're an excellent diver, but all around them will know. They plan the dive, and dive the plan.

In one sentence. An excellent diver is 'sqared away'.

A good diver pays attention to what he/she is doing and where all body parts and gear is at all times.

An excellent diver brings beer for after the dive. :beer:

I can blow bubble rings but I am in no way a great diver. Good diver maybe but great not a chance.

------------------------------------------------

I think both a good and a great diver is somone what is calm and collected even when things are not going well. Both possess outstinding skills.

A good diver is conditioned to perform in a predictable manor in a given situation a great diver can think and adapt if something is not black and white. A good diver manages a dive well as part of a buddy team and a great diver can manage an entire group. A good diver is always has what he needs but may need to find it, a great diver just knows where everything is and seems to have it all (but you would not know by looking at him or her). A good diver can notice when something is not right, a great diver can sense when something is not right then zero right in on it.

A great diver is one who not only knows what to do in every situation but can and does explain to others why things happen the way they do.

I am not a great diver and I have only met a few. Greatness is not in the number of dives or the certifications that are achieved. It is a way of being.

Well, What I look for in a Excellent Diver. Divers who know their limits and don't exceed them; who plan and discuss the dive before doing it; who discuss and practice emergency skills often; who stay rock solid neutral in the water and don't stir up the silt; who are confident in their abilities and prepared; and last but not least, always seeks improvement of their skills.

A good diver is someone who knows their limits and doesn't exceed them, Who plan and discuss their dive before doing it; who discuss and practive emergency skills often; Who might be a little off in the water, but recognise it and are working to improve it; who are comfortable in their abilities and are working to improve them.

I think I like Suemermaid, and she chases her cats around her house while dressed in her scuba gear.

A woman who dons her scuba gear at home ! ! ! Uuuuuuuummmmm, to quote Homer Simpson.

I think all of you have hit on valuable traits.

Hey I like all these answers....they are all correct. But when I want to see a good diver i look in the mirror......what about you? Keeping your skills in practice at all times is what makes a good diver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom