Good Experiences at the PP Train Bridge???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ClassAction

Reaction score
Anyone ever have a good dive there? Seems like every report I hear/read is bad. I had my own bad experience (had to abort the dive due to ripping current -- even at "slack" -- and 5 inches of vis).

Just trying to figure out if it's worth diving...

PS: Anyone get any fluke there?

Have you been using Grunzster's tide chart?

I have had 1 good dive, 1 ok dive and 1 horrible dive there.

The good dive we got right in the water and did an almost 45 minute dive there before the current was too strong. vis was 10-15 feet.

The ok dive we tried to go to the "barge" that really did not exist and wasted the tide. We ended up doing a 20 minute dive on the other side of the bridge, but the current was pretty strong. Vis was 5-10 feet.

The 3rd dive which was horrible, Grunzster read the tide chart from the day before, we got in the water way too early and were lucky that we stopped ourselves before we hit the fourth dock at the marina on the other side of the bridge. Grunzster and a few others stuck around and later dove there when the tide was right.

TTSkipper

TTSkipper:
The 3rd dive which was horrible, Grunzster read the tide chart from the day before, we got in the water way too early and were lucky that we stopped ourselves before we hit the fourth dock at the marina on the other side of the bridge. Grunzster and a few others stuck around and later dove there when the tide was right.
TTSkipper

At least he remembered his fins that day....

Is shark river any better? Can you ever get two tanks in?

LOL- I was there for both the OK (barge) dive and the horrible one.

The day we lost the tide putzing around by the barge, we did manage to get a few minutes in along the wall before the tide turned. It was pretty nice while it lasted. The wall was loaded with life, and we want to try it again as it looked great for taking pics.

I don't think you'll have much luck looking for Fluke there. The bottom on the far side was all a jumble of mussel shells and starfish. Definitely not the nice sandy or mildy rocky bottom that flatfish prefer.

You might have some luck going straight out from the parking lot into the channel at night. Unfortunately,If Jersey is like Long Island that site will be loaded with people fishing at this time of year.

If you want to give it another shot, Jen and I would be up for an early October weekend dive. I'd like to get one good dive in after all the interstate commuting to get there :rolleyes:

Grunzster and I had two nice dives on fourth of july weekend. One in the morning and one at night. (he remembered the fins and I didn't through out my back.) come to think of it, those are the only good dives that chris and I actually have had! I'd give PP a thumbs up.

Actually most of my dives have been pretty good there except for the few recent screw ups, which were really mostly my fault and the fault of bad info.

4th of July weekend me and FrankF did 2 dives there. Nice our long dive in the morning then crashed on the beach all day and then a night dive.

Shark River is supposed to be really nice. Current can really rip through there, though, so I want my first time to be with someone who knows the spot.

Most shore dives are only 1 tankers, because of the tide, unless you dive both high tides (that AM and the PM) in the same day. Depending on the spot you're better off going for one long dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom