Good gear for beginner?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't have a wrist mount computer because A) I bought mine used from my LDS and it was a console :D and B) I'd forget to put it on...

I think I'd forget my head if it wasn't...

what were we talking about.

I'm serious about that- I'd totally be in the water thinking, "I know I forgot something..." I had to buy a BC mountable C-card because I kept losing/forgetting my C-card. Ask Cuda Chaser. It's really quite sad. :D

If you're going to use an air II type device, a few thoughts:

First I'd put my primary on a longer hose and be prepared to donate it to a diver who needs air.

Second I'd make sure that my BC's corrugated hose is long enough to let the air II be comfortable in my mouth.

Third I'd make sure that the intermediate pressure feed hose to the air II is the proper lenght to work with the corrugated hose I decided on in the previous step.

The Edge is my mask of choice, no purge valve. I have a narrow face ant is catches the sides fine. I am assuming that this choice is based on a personal hands on fitting because anything else is a shot in the dark.

The stealth boot is a gem. I tried some but they didn't mate with any of my existing fins.

I'm a fan of dry snorkels. Sure I can clear it but on an extended surface swim from shore who needs that distraction. If you don't get a valved one at least get one with a splash guard up top.

Pete

Snorkel is necessary if you have a long wait for the boat after a drift dive.

The Sherwood Shadow is a good intigrated octo inflator. I'm not sure if thet are still being made though. It is like a standard second stage with an extension hose on it that connects to a standard bc inflator. You can use it with any bc :) I had one a few years back and traded it for the Scubapro Air II and now wish I didn't. There's nothing wrong with the Air II but I miss the versatility of the Sherwood Shadow. Now I keep a spare second stage and a LP inflator hose in my gear bag so in an emergency I can use a different bc. PITA

Back
Top Bottom