Good Idea for BP/W Harness?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i don't like soft webbing because the webbing holding it's position is helpful when donning and doffing, gives it a bit more stability instead of flopping around. Soft on the crotch strap though

i don't like soft webbing because the webbing holding it's position is helpful when donning and doffing, gives it a bit more stability instead of flopping around. Soft on the crotch strap though

I agree for the most part, especially about the crotch strap. I was thinking about trying one on my warm water travel plate where I'm wearing a 3mm or less. I wouldn't bother using soft webbing when using my 7mm for the same reasons you mentioned.

even on the travel plates I prefer the stiffer webbing, it's really difficult to get into a harness if the webbing won't support itself...

Does anyone here prefer using the softer webbing over the stiffer standard?

I ordered some soft webbing to try on a travel plate (still has a 5,000lb. rating).

I have soft webbing on my commercial diving harness but I do see that it makes much difference either way. The seatbelt webbing I use to make my own standby harness so there is no noticeable bulk to it under the rest of my gear and it is mainly there for hanging tools.

I like the thinner nylon webbing that Halcyon uses, because it's flexible but still holds triglides. I just recently changed out a 9 1/2 year old harness which has seen many hundred dives. There was a very minor amount of fraying where the harness contacted the edges of the plate, but nothing that would remotely compromise its integrity. I can't think of any reason why I would want a more expensive material for a harness.

Soft webbing really sucks as should harness. It twists when you get in and out. The d-ring/trides don't stay in place. My first basic webbing is a version of Dive Rite basic harness. The webbing is very soft when dry, sloppily soft when wet. After a short while, I can't stand them anymore. I turned them into crotch strap

god help you if you ever need someone to cut you out of it...

Wouldn't EMT shears or a trilobite cut through it?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom