Good Idea for BP/W Harness?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

emt shears and a trilobite would get through it, benchmade 7 wouldn't unless it was resin impregnated to make it stiffer, you'd be replacing the blades after about 2 cuts though. Standard dive knifes would get through it eventually but would take a lot of sawing. It does cut, especially when it is in yarn form, it's just not easy.

Not to thread jack, but why do we use nylon webbing? According to the information on Strapworks, I would think polyester or polypropylene would be better choices. However their scuba webbing is nylon but 1 7/8" rather than 2" wide.

Edit: The polypropylene is the least expensive at $.29, the nylon is $.69, while the polyester in $1.10. Given the lengths needed for a harness I don't think cost would be an issue.

Not to thread jack, but why do we use nylon webbing? According to the information on Strapworks, I would think polyester or polypropylene would be better choices. However their scuba webbing is nylon but 1 7/8" rather than 2" wide.

Edit: The polypropylene is the least expensive at $.29, the nylon is $.69, while the polyester in $1.10. Given the lengths needed for a harness I don't think cost would be an issue.

Polypro is slippery, think water ski tow ropes.

Polyester is higher cost for no real gain.

Tobin

Polypro is slippery, think water ski tow ropes.

Polyester is higher cost for no real gain.

Tobin

Thanks for answering. So the polyester webbing would work for a harness? Some of those patterns are pretty cool.

polypro is also incredibly difficult to dye, has to be done in masterbatch where nylon can be dyed and have logo's printed on it with ease, nylon is also much better at abrasion resistance, polypro is crap. Nylon is definitely a compromise, but it falls into the "it's good enough" category and when price/performance/comfort is factored in, it beats out everything on the market currently.

spectra is a bear to cut. some chainsaw chaps are made from it.

Mike, Chainsaw chaps aren't designed to be cut proof. They are made from a loosely woven material that is designed to have the outer layer cut and the saw will suck up yarn from the fabric and it will cause the motor to stall. The material has to be relatively cut resistant, and the HMWPE's and Aramids are chose for that, but you can get similar results from nylon, just has to be a bit thicker/heavier which the crews don't like so they pay a premium for the weight savings.

Jim, 100% spot on, this stuff has a super low melting point and runs from fire like a baby from the boogey man.

Back
Top Bottom