Good mid level computers for vacation divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LeggoDiveyDivey

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello everyone, I have had a Leonardo Cressi for about 2 years now and its been sufficient to help me across a variety of warm water dives. However now that I am quite positive that I am addicted to scuba diving, I think its time for a better computer that would make my dive holidays easier when it comes to tracking my dives.

Dives: 200
Certs: Advanced OW (No plans to do tech)
Gas: Air and Nitrox
Diving conditions: Mix of Liveaboards, resort diving in warm waters (20C and above)
Personal gear: None

What I like about my current Leonardo Cressi (LC) :
+ Able to change battery autonomously
+ Great battery life (no need to charge in between dives)
+ Big display
+ Beeps (I actually like the ascent alarm)

What I wish to have in a future computer:
+ Easy upload of data into a computer
+ Autonomous battery changes or charging
+ Calculates SAC rate
+ Backlight for night dives
+ Compass (optional)

Don't needs or NAs
- Integrated air transmitters

So far it seems like the Shear Water Peregrine might fit my requirements though it has no beeps or compass. I love that the large form factor and wireless charging though. Im keen to hear about other choices from other people too.
Also do people recommend getting it second hand too?

Shearwater customer service is second to none. My girlfriend's Peregrine had a depth sensor problem, they shipped her a loaner computer while hers was being worked on, covered shipping both ways. I've bought used Shearwaters from other users here, knowing that Shearwater is exceptionally helpful with warranty and repairs.

Hello everyone, I have had a Leonardo Cressi for about 2 years now and its been sufficient to help me across a variety of warm water dives. However now that I am quite positive that I am addicted to scuba diving, I think its time for a better computer that would make my dive holidays easier when it comes to tracking my dives.

Dives: 200
Certs: Advanced OW (No plans to do tech)
Gas: Air and Nitrox
Diving conditions: Mix of Liveaboards, resort diving in warm waters (20C and above)
Personal gear: None

What I like about my current Leonardo Cressi (LC) :
+ Able to change battery autonomously
+ Great battery life (no need to charge in between dives)
+ Big display
+ Beeps (I actually like the ascent alarm)

What I wish to have in a future computer:
+ Easy upload of data into a computer
+ Autonomous battery changes or charging
+ Calculates SAC rate
+ Backlight for night dives
+ Compass (optional)

Don't needs or NAs
- Integrated air transmitters

So far it seems like the Shear Water Peregrine might fit my requirements though it has no beeps or compass. I love that the large form factor and wireless charging though. Im keen to hear about other choices from other people too.
Also do people recommend getting it second hand too?
The Peregrine won't calculate your SAC rate - I suspect that only comes with an AI computer? I love mine. My husband finally converted to the Peregrine after a few trips of watching me not have reset that gas to Nitrox (his would default to AIR overnight). Also, for reference, our trips are usually 6 days of diving and that's two 90+ minute dives a day. I charge once before I start diving and I'm usually at about 1/2 battery at the end of the trip. So easy to use - easy to download dives onto the app - easy to change settings. And instead of a 'beep' it vibrates - so if I hear a beep I know it's not me. I can't recommend it enough.

Peregrine has [edited, thanks @lowwall - btw- Engineers usually can't spell and I picked the suggested correction] haptic notification (vibrate). The Peregrine, however does not have a built in compass.

Without AI, you won't get any computer to calculate SAC/RMV.

Keep in mind, the upper tier SW computers have a recreational mode that is a nice interface to use.

I do really like AI... To me it was worth the choices that do have it.

YMMV

No computer will calculate SAC without AI.
OTH, you can use either manufacturer's software or 3rd party program (I use Subsurface) for that. Write down start and end pressure and after downloading dive, input those numbers and you will get you SAC.
One thing that puzzles me is upload data into computer? What kind of data you want to upload?

Gas integration is required for tracking gas consumption. All of them require some sort of physical connection to the tank, generally thru a high pressure port on the regulator. If your diving with the same operator exclusively for each trip they will likely put your transmitter or hose on one of their regulators and have you use it exclusively for the duration. If your moving around and switching operators it invites trouble, worn o rings cross threaded connections etc. I would suggest you buy a regulator and then a new computer. If buying both is not an option.

This is the best value in dive computers and has all features you want/need with easy to follow menus. You can get the basic recreational model, iX3M 2 Pro, that will take care of all of your recreational diving needs at all levels. It is AI but you just buy the computer and not the transmitter. You can always buy a transmitter later when you think you want it as to protect your investment should you decide to go full AI.

The distributor for the US is: EDGE-HOG Dive Gear

Here is a list of the dealers in the US:

No computer will calculate SAC without AI.
OTH, you can use either manufacturer's software or 3rd party program (I use Subsurface) for that. Write down start and end pressure and after downloading dive, input those numbers and you will get you SAC.
One thing that puzzles me is upload data into computer? What kind of data you want to upload?

Just the dive data like the depth profile, time of dive etc. My current Leonardo Cressi does nothing
Agree with the SAC calculation via a third party app which should be fine if I get the start and end bars correct on an app like Subsurface!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom