Good Weekend?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lobzila (lob zil la) Noun: Big ole Bug, mythical creature who never seems to be reachable. aka "The one that got away". See also Urban Myth & Legend. Close relative of the Lost Dutchman.

I too have seen a few lobzillas around these parts...they sure can use their legs and claws to wedge into those bug-dens. Once they are dugin it's pretty damn hard to get'm out. They must get stronger as they get older. Had my hand around a (almost) football sized caripace but the bugger wouldn't budge. Guess I dont have the same love of my finger tips. Likely would have taken my leg off if he'd even have fit in the catchbag. Ever get the "bugbites" on your thighs? scares you a bit during the dive for sure, never mind the smarting if one gets a good grip

When you look in an opening in a big pile of rocks and see a lobster with arm joints the size of your fist, that's Lobzilla.

My dive buddy is threatening to bring a shovel along next time. We spent a good 500# of air trying to get him to budge. I had to give up when I figured the only way to get her out may have resulted in injury to the lobster. Didn't want to risk injuring something I may or may not have been able to keep.

Oh I know those nips well, but I have never gotten clamped down on with a full claw yet.

Only one other person can vouch for the size of this thing I have seen.....I spotted this monster under the Chester Poling during a night dive last year. The carapace was the size of a (thin) person. My buddy "jumped" when I showed him because he thought I was pointing out a human body! Went back the next night with a camera hoping to get some evidence but it was long gone. Neither of us have ever heard about, seen, or read about a lobster this big.

--Matt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom