Goodbye Cozumel; Lets Try It Again Next Year

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nyprrthd:
Thanks for the report. Quick question: This is the second time I've read about taxis not able to pick up at the airport. How does one get from the airport to a downtown hotel? I've been in Cozumel 8 times, but always as a Pod person.

That's right, taxis cannot pick people up at the airport--you have to take a white van if you want public transport. Ironically, taxis can drop people off at the airport--I haven't figured that out yet.

To get a ticket for the white vans, you go past the timeshare sharks at the airport to the van window, buy a ticket and walk outside to where the white vans are.

The only other way is to walk out of the airport and out to the street and wait for a taxi. The downside is that you have to haul your luggage out there, but if you don't have heavy luggage, it might be worth it!

So Don, I am a little confused by the title of your post. :) Are you saying that you cant wait until next year to come again or are you implying that you wont be going back until next year due to dive conditions?

Just curious as in your report you were neither overly posotive or negative.

:)

cxg31s:
That's right, taxis cannot pick people up at the airport--you have to take a white van if you want public transport. Ironically, taxis can drop people off at the airport--I haven't figured that out yet.

Well, think about it. People go to the airport at varying times before their flights from places all over the island; to try to make that happen with shuttles would be a logistical nightmare. It would demand that all these flakey gringo tourists (I'm including myself) be on the curb ready to go in a very narrow window of time. Ain't gonna happen. ;^)

OTOH, folks are ready to leave the airport in large simultaneous batches, and using cabs for hotel transport would demand that the cabbies know when the planes are landing and be there in large numbers when that happens.

The system works, and is actually a pretty good idea, IMO.

ggunn:
Well, think about it. People go to the airport at varying times before their flights from places all over the island; to try to make that happen with shuttles would be a logistical nightmare. It would demand that all these flakey gringo tourists (I'm including myself) be on the curb ready to go in a very narrow window of time. Ain't gonna happen. ;^)

OTOH, folks are ready to leave the airport in large simultaneous batches, and using cabs for hotel transport would demand that the cabbies know when the planes are landing and be there in large numbers when that happens.

The system works, and is actually a pretty good idea, IMO.

Well I get all that, but that wasn't my point. The ironic part is that the union won't allow the taxis to pick up at the airport but they will allow them to drop off. Are the shuttles and taxis 2 separate unions? I think they are.

So on that note, I wonder if the taxis would just have to pay a fee for the privilege of picking up passengers at the airport? Do they pay a fee for being allowed to drop off? I'm sure the shuttle company gets a cut somehow....so on that note, why not let the taxis pick up if they're getting a share of the profits anyway?

And to address your last point, why couldn't the cabbies know when the flights are coming in? After all, they know when every single cruise ship is coming in and wait at the pier in large numbers, so why not the flights? More money for them, right?

Does that clarify the point I was trying to make or did that just muddy it up? LOL

cxg31s:
Well I get all that, but that wasn't my point. The ironic part is that the union won't allow the taxis to pick up at the airport but they will allow them to drop off. Are the shuttles and taxis 2 separate unions? I think they are.

So on that note, I wonder if the taxis would just have to pay a fee for the privilege of picking up passengers at the airport? Do they pay a fee for being allowed to drop off? I'm sure the shuttle company gets a cut somehow....so on that note, why not let the taxis pick up if they're getting a share of the profits anyway?

And to address your last point, why couldn't the cabbies know when the flights are coming in? After all, they know when every single cruise ship is coming in and wait at the pier in large numbers, so why not the flights? More money for them, right?

Does that clarify the point I was trying to make or did that just muddy it up? LOL

The shuttles are run by the taxi union. The pick up and drop off rules are for logistical concerns; it's enough of a mad scramble out there already without throwing a bunch of taxis manuevering for fares in the mix.

On the last point - there are a lot fewer cruise ships than planes arriving daily, they run on time more than planes do, they arrive on Melgar where all the taxis are, anyway, and the cabbies can see them coming in.

But your point is well taken; there are a lot of things that go on there that don't make sense to us gringos. Like can you explain to me why the two ferry companies run the same schedule and race across the channel rather than staggering their departure times? ;^)

ggunn:
And pay in pesos. Last year, the fare from my hotel to the plaza was 35 pesos or $4 US. $4 US = 44 pesos at 11:1.

Of course the real game is to have the exact fare, since the cab drivers nearly always will tell you that they don't have change in hopes that you'll just let them keep the diff.

What's the big deal with the cab fares? Is there some moral objection to giving the guy a little extra?

I don't see anybody here saying the fare should be $4 and the cabbie said "$20" . . .

Terry

Brules:
So Don, I am a little confused by the title of your post. :) Are you saying that you cant wait until next year to come again or are you implying that you wont be going back until next year due to dive conditions?
Hehe - both, actually.
Just curious as in your report you were neither overly posotive or negative.

:)
Nope - for me it's a mixed deal. :wink:

ggunn:
The shuttles are run by the taxi union. The pick up and drop off rules are for logistical concerns; it's enough of a mad scramble out there already without throwing a bunch of taxis manuevering for fares in the mix.

On the last point - there are a lot fewer cruise ships than planes arriving daily, they run on time more than planes do, they arrive on Melgar where all the taxis are, anyway, and the cabbies can see them coming in.

But your point is well taken; there are a lot of things that go on there that don't make sense to us gringos. Like can you explain to me why the two ferry companies run the same schedule and race across the channel rather than staggering their departure times? ;^)

All good points as well. I guess when it comes down to it, as long as I can get to my hotel, I don't really care how I get there!

LOL about the ferries--I have been wondering the same thing! Wouldn't it make more sense for them to alternate every 30 minutes? Maybe they're following work schedules or something.
But it's hilarious that they race--I think they do it for fun. Last time my ferry won. :D

Web Monkey:
What's the big deal with the cab fares? Is there some moral objection to giving the guy a little extra?

I don't see anybody here saying the fare should be $4 and the cabbie said "$20" . . .

Terry

Actually yes. The prices are supposed to be set--there is a fare list but not only do some (not all!) of the drivers over-inflate the prices when they think they can get away with it,
but there is a long history of price gouging by the taxi unions, plus the political aspects of how much power the taxi unions have down there. But we won't get into all that....

Suffice it to say, there is no need to give the taxi drivers anything extra--they're getting WAY more than their fair share, believe me!

Thanks Angie. I'll just put on my timeshare hawker armor, and make my way to the van booth. At least I can grab a taxi back to the airport. Light luggage?!? You evidently have not met my wife!

Back
Top Bottom