Gopro Hero 5 vs. Canon G7X mark II

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Issue

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi.

Im looking for a new videocamera for diving. I have been waiting for the new gopro for over a year, but recently i realized that a compact will give me much better quality, especially in low light conditions.

BUT, then it came, the new gopro. And it came with image stabilization. So the game changed. Im not sure if this feature will help me much while diving, what do you think? I have "problem" with shaky videos with my gopro hero 3 today and i almost always use software to stabilize the video but i am not always happy with the result. The picture often "bends" and looks wierd..

So. What should i buy? What would you buy?
- Canon has less fps and less resolution options.
- Canon has bigger sensor and optic, better in low light.
- Gopro is primary built for video, canon for photo.
- Gopro has image stabilization.
- Canon is more than twice the price of a gopro(with house for both).

As videolight i am using two Bigblue VL5700.

Thanks in advance.

First decide which is more important- photos or video? The fact that you have two powerful lights probably indicates you prioritize video.

Between the two, definitely get the G7X. The macro capabilities are excellent. Canons' colors are very good. There are some very good wide angle options.

Did you know that GoPro replaced most of the buttons on the Hero 5 Black with a touchscreen? The camera itself is waterproof to 10 meters. There is no available housing for it (currently). And with a flat lens port you lose much of the wide angle.

In my experience, the iPhone 6S is better than any of the GoPro cameras. Take a good look at the Valstech Lenzo housing. The 4K footage on YouTube and Vimeo is excellent. I just ordered one. It includes a dome port corrected to the iPhone's lens, and you can adjust the exposure compensation underwater.

First decide which...

Thank you for the answer.

Video is what i do now. Photo is not an option with gopro. If i want a photo, i take a frame from the video. So yea, video, but being ableto shoot some decent photos is not bad.

Yes i saw the removeal of buttons on gopro 5 and it should mean problem for divers. Probably harder to change settinges underwater. I rarley do that but the option is important if you have to change something while diving. There is house for both 40 and 60m on gopros page.

Wide angel is not very important for me, i shoot mostly with normal and narrow on gopro. 0,5-1m distance.

But the iphone cant have better low light than gopro, can it?

Would you mind commenting on the image stabilization on the new gopro? Do you think it will help uv-video?

Thanks in advance.

GoPro's stabilization is electronic. I do not know if it works in 4K. It is not a substitute for using a good tray with handles.

I have not seen enough footage of the new GoPro. Their only 4K video kept playing 1080 on my TV.

I ordered my iPhone housing in part because It will allow me to adjust the exposure while filming. Did you watch the iPhone underwater video in 4K?

GoPro's stabilization is electronic. I do not know if it works in 4K. It is not a substitute for using a good tray with handles.

I have not seen enough footage of the new GoPro. Their only 4K video kept playing 1080 on my TV.

I ordered my iPhone housing in part because It will allow me to adjust the exposure while filming. Did you watch the iPhone underwater video in 4K?

No the hero 5 will only have stabilization in 1080p. I use that today to get 60fps. I dont think i need 4k. A step or two higher than 1080 would not hurt tho.

Yes i saw the videos and it looks great, but it is in very good light conditions. And it is from the company who sells it so.. :)

The diving i do is in water with bad light conditions. I have good video lights but they are only good for close up, like 0,5-2m. Also i am buying iPhone 7 soon so i would have to wait for a house that fits that model. But i strongly doubt that iPhone can get even near gopro in light sensitivity, so i don't think its an option for me.

The GoPro and iPhone both have small sensors.

Wait if you can. Prices for the Hero 4 silver and black are going to drop.

The GoPro and iPhone both have small sensors.

Wait if you can. Prices for the Hero 4 silver and black are going to drop.

Yes but the optics is much much bigger on gopro. I could not find any video of iphone vs gopro in lowlight conditions on youtube tho.

If i buy something, it will be gopro 5 or the canon.

The Lenzo housing arrived. It has built in filters for blue and green water. I am looking forward to using it soon.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    131.6 KB · Views: 263
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    155.7 KB · Views: 318
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    174.6 KB · Views: 278

Back
Top Bottom