GoPro Hero3 announced

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Let us all revel in the splendor that the Hero2 took us too, and make the bikini's smaller and more light weight with the Hero3,

be sure to keep your pole cam steady, regardless of how much jiggling is going on with the front of your shaft.

GoPro Hero 2 HD BoomPole - YouTube

It looks to be the same, just wider. I would still put a loop of bungee around it! At the cost of 5 cents and half a second to put it on, I'd rather be safe than sorry.
The new latch actually has a locking pin that has to be pushed in order to unlock it before you can lift the latch.
My new black should be waiting for me when I get home on Monday!!

Let us all revel in the splendor that the Hero2 took us too, and make the bikini's smaller and more light weight with the Hero3,

be sure to keep your pole cam steady, regardless of how much jiggling is going on with the front of your shaft.

[video=youtube;J7koehRPuAY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7koehRPuAY&feature=related[/video]

I did ask the guys in the comments if they want any help shooting the next one, they said welcome to Chile :)

Here are all the video modes from the 3 new models.

hero3videomodes.jpg

---------- Post Merged at 10:50 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 05:14 PM ----------

Do you know if Aussie distributors will have this, or is the best way to preorder it here via the main gopro site?

Ive heard some info regarding Aussie stock, expected delivery mid November to December with RRP for the Black $489 but some will sell for about $469 as that price has already been posted by some.

Price isnt too bad as you will be struggling to beat that price including shipping from the US and that includes GST and free local shipping from most dealers but there is still no certainty on the arrival date.

Dilemma: I will be in the US (I live in Thailand) for the next two weeks. Long enough to get delivery on a Hero3 white, but not long enough for a black. So, buy the white while I can get it, or wait, maybe six months or a year, until I can get a black?

How about putting a real lens on these camera, along with image stabilization. Not sure why a $20 camera in a versatile mounting system is so popular. As for it being used by professionals, it is because of the versatile mount and not needing to worry about losing a $200k gear if it gets destroyed (besides not being able to mount a 50LB camera onto somebody's back).

Dilemma: I will be in the US (I live in Thailand) for the next two weeks. Long enough to get delivery on a Hero3 white, but not long enough for a black. So, buy the white while I can get it, or wait, maybe six months or a year, until I can get a black?

If you end up waiting 6 months to a year, you may as well just wait for the Hero 4 to be released. I don't know much yet other than they have already started the design process and they are aiming at a $700 price tag.

If you end up waiting 6 months to a year, you may as well just wait for the Hero 4 to be released. I don't know much yet other than they have already started the design process and they are aiming at a $700 price tag.
Looks like I could get a Silver now....

How about putting a real lens on these camera, along with image stabilization. Not sure why a $20 camera in a versatile mounting system is so popular. As for it being used by professionals, it is because of the versatile mount and not needing to worry about losing a $200k gear if it gets destroyed (besides not being able to mount a 50LB camera onto somebody's back).

For the price and size, the GoPro is pretty amazing. The Hero 1 was $200, the Hero 2 $300 and the Hero 3 Black is $400. Previously you had to spend 2-3 times or more for a camcorder and housing to match the quality of footage.

No one is claiming it puts out pro quality video. Because the cost is so low, people are spending money on accessories which makes the cost go up quickly. Some accessories are needed, but others are really want vs. need. Lights, filters, trays. All good stuff that will improve the video. Trick is deciding how much to spend. Do I really need $1000 lights, $100 filter or a $150 tray when less expensive versions will work ?

Not sure if the $20 camera is a typo but if you can do the same for $20 then go ahead and you will make millions selling it for $100 or even $400. Sony and JVC have already ventured into the action cam market and haven't been able to better the HD2 at a similar price point to the GoPro cameras. If you think you can do better for cheaper with a better lens and image quality with great image stabilization Id happily buy that camera off you. :D

A proper lens costs well over the price of a gopro for most cameras and there's none of those that will really work with such a small form factor, Image Stabilization wouldn't help in the main purpose of the camera which is as an action camera. Take your high end camera and go run as fast as you can with it, it wont make much difference if it has IS or not because it only really works well on subtle movements shooting handheld. Still would be useful for the many users that use the camera more as a traditional camcorder then just an action cam.

The beauty of the action cams is that they now bring decent easy to use cameras for everybody to use at an affordable price point. Underwater use wasn't really an intended market segment for them initially as they had a housing that lost focus underwater for 6.5 of their first 7 years whilst making a housing that can do decent depths. Odd as that may seem but they only built the housing so tough so it can withstand the shocks of all the high risk locations they will be used in.

These are also used professionally quite a bit as they are disposable for those big budget productions and can be placed in all sorts of places you cant or wont mount your main camera. They arent designed to replace main cameras on any professional setup just used as b or c cams. The average user though most likely wont have a spare $10-$100k for these sorts of cameras and will be quite happy with the results from the tiny little GoPro as their main camera.

A pro version with changeable lenses will be the next step they will likely take as the use in professional production has been likely higher then they expected early on. Now with added features that will make it easier to mix in with other pro cameras they will get even more use and so they will make models that cater for this market even more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom