GoPro Hero3 announced

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No worries was just speaking in general there regarding new cameras coming out. :D

The new housing has a flat lens and is also rated to the same depth plus it has an improved latch system so if you get a hero 3 you would most likely just use the stock housing.

Thats a great upgrade to the default case! I agree that it seems there would be no need to use the legacy dive housing then.

Filter wise I still really like the Blurfix for land use with screw in filters and also underwater but that adapter wont fit the new housing as is but the new filter shouldn't need too many changes to work with this housing, so once the guys get the new housing in their hands they should be able to make a new mount for the new housing pretty easy using the same method.

Marty, thanks! You're a wealth of information. Am I remembering you right as someone who already had a review copy of the new SRP filter? So it's not a direct fit onto this new housing then? Wow. I wonder how that will impact SRP with their forthcoming release. So most existing filters would need an adapter of some sort? I imagine adapters would hit the market soon enough, but it's a consideration.

The old housing just wouldn't work with bacpacs as the camera is much thinner so you wouldn't get access to the side buttons on the LCD with the new hero 3 housing.

So - the reason I ask is I have a birthday at the end of next week, and my present from my in laws is a LCD bacpac for my hero 2. I know this because they ask my wife for suggestions and my wife, in turn, asks me :) I'm looking forward to playing with it! So to use it with a hero 3 what combo of housing and back door should I use? Does the new hero 3 case accept the backdoor that comes with the bacpac? Said backdoor was made with the hero2 dive housing in mind of course.

Thanks again. Your insight is appreciated!

I think most bacpacs should be compatible.

Here is the promo video, they've done a great job on the edit.

[video=youtube;A3PDXmYoF5U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3PDXmYoF5U&t=2m[/video]

what video case do they have there at 2.00 min ?

can anybody explain to me what you might want to shoot with the new video resolutions? Like the 4K/15fps, 4K CIN/12fps, 2.7K/30fps, and 1440P/48fps. I assume for just wider shots, I'm not sure??? :confused:

GoPro's are used by professionals all over the world. TV, movies, etc. Plenty of use for that stuff via those outlets.

Hmmm, there are defenitly some major plus on the camera, but one point i realy dont like. MicroSD Cards. I have no other use for these cards in other gear and i dont like to buy some extra cards just for the gopro. I will stay with my hero 2 for some time, not only for my filters but also for this microsd card thing.

Is the Hero3 Black the only version with the "2x better low light" claim? Getting enough light at depth to maintain detail is IMO the single most important requirement, especially for those of us shooting without video lights. I don't need a wifi remote or 1080p/60fps, but I would spring for the Black over the Silver for this feature alone (assuming it's not also on the lower-priced versions).

FS BRAND NEW Hero2 with LCD bacpac, Backscatter tricked up UW housing with red magic filter and xtra battery. PM if interested. Bought a housing for my Canon 5DMK2 Thanks

Only Info regarding white balance atm is this for both black and silver models.

Auto, Cam Raw, 3000K, 5500K and 6500K white balance modes

I have heard full manual too but not sure how that would be implemented and that's an unconfirmed rumor even though its from someone that should know quite well. I will try and find out more info regarding the wb as its one of the weakest parts of current GoPro cameras underwater, some control is better then none but full manual would be best "cam raw" may be good to just set wb in post possibly.

Uhm custom white balance is what is needed those temperatures correspond to artificial lightning, we will see about this camera raw

But what about exposure lock? It is an easy to have function and they just missed out on it. Shame!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom