Gopro Hero4 or alternative?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How is the Sony regarding colors underwater? Can it do some good autobalancing? How is it's autobalancing compared to the GoPro3 Black?
Are there red-filters available for it?
I think I exactly answered to these questions in post which you Quote.
From this time I forgot what is video white balance correction and make stabilization in software.
My personal feeling that Sony HDR-AS100V has better colors with not enough light scenario, much better auto-balancing than GoPro 3 black and stabilization works pretty well.

There's also the dirt-cheap SJ4000. At 1:06 the uploader states that SJ4000 is the left cam.
Here's a German comparison: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGvkgUyHCkk
For 100usd that is a bargain!

Ok I have been there less then 2 months ago (Gopro or Sony). I've done my research and decided to buy Gopro Hero4 Silver - reason LCD display
and I am really happy with quality

with regards to SJCAM
[video=youtube;Dom15OMVsHs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dom15OMVsHs[/video]

It's cheap and it's working really good in cold water ... but after Gopro experience I would not move back to SJ4000 :)

Sony or Gopro it is your decision Good Luck

I have got the Sony HDR-AS15 found out during diving in Cozumel that the underwater quality is bad. Recently bought the flat lens, want to try it out here in The Netherlands. However I'm still scared that the video quality is still nothing if compared to a nice Go Pro with red filter. Will go to Bonaire in 2 week. So need to decide if I go for the Go Pro Hero4 silver...

I have got the Sony HDR-AS15 found out during diving in Cozumel that the underwater quality is bad. Recently bought the flat lens, want to try it out here in The Netherlands. However I'm still scared that the video quality is still nothing if compared to a nice Go Pro with red filter.
If you like to compare "Sony HDR-AS15" with GoPro, you need to compare it with GoPro HD or maximum GoPro_2, which was produced about the same time.
With GoPro 3 or 4 I think more correct to compare new Sony 4k. And for underwater you must to use flat door (comes in the box with GoPro, but not always with Sony)
By saying that GoPro should be used with red filter you actually said that GoPro has bad white balance. :)
Color filter passes only one color sector, so it can be good for one depth +-10 ft this is why you can find different filters for GoPro for different depths.
decided to buy Gopro Hero4 Silver - reason LCD display
Yes, you can buy display for GoPro, I had it, not so like it, this is why I forgot to mention it as GoPro advantage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom