GoPro HERO4 Revealed!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, it is Now official: The Gopro 4 is released. The Black, now becomes the Silver w/ an LCD provided as part of the unit.

The silver really is perfect for scuba....
New batteries... Bluetooth support ... Protune for photo
The rest are more 4k stuff

Battery and LCD BacPacs will be compatible although there are new versions of both coming soon which will be better and on the LCD allow for swiping motions to control the screen.

We've got the full range of Hero 4's available for pre-order and adding the new accessories and mounts to the website at the moment...

GoPro Hero 4 Cameras

The timing cannot be better. I have a trip to the Philippines and Thailand on October 16th. Not sure which is more exciting- 4k/30 or 1080p/120.

I'll be most curious about (a) battery life and (b) functionality of touch screen interface when wearing gloves (neo or dry gloves). This could finally be the perfect recreational dive image capture device.
Anyone guess (or know) if the gopro housings can be attached to camera trays using a standard mounting screw? (or, how do the gopro housings mount to traditional camera trays?) I'd like to adapt an existing Ikelite tray & LCD video light from a defunct JVC WP-10 Picsio "camera" (worst dive related purchase I ever made!!!).

C.

I've spent hours this past weekend reading just about every article on the internet between the Hero 4 Black, Hero 4 Silver , Hero 3+ Black

I'm going to go ahead and order the Hero 4 Silver.

It has touch screen display, and does not need the extra $80 campac for diving.

Battery life didn't seem to improve, at 2.5 hours from what I been reading on the Hero 4

Shooting in 4K 30fps seems to record in huge files on the Hero 4 Black

You Tube can't handle 4K yet, and my 70" Sony Bravia LED Smart TV I just paid $2,400.00 2 months ago doesn't do 4K, and I'm not paying 5 grand for a 70" TV to display in 4K. I'll wait another year and the TV's in 4K will drop half in price

Here's a good comparison chart I found, between the Hero 4 and hero 3+ etc, which is easy to read, without having to spend a hour reading a chart to compare the 2

Only thing I'm not sure between the Hero 4 Black and Silver, is you loose the touch screen on the Black, but pick up
1080P @ 120fps vs the silver 1080P 60fps. I like having the touch screen for underwater diving, so I may go with the Silver.

Also a big leap is from the Hero 3+ Black to the Hero 4 is Manual controls for ISO, Exposure, Color

And lastly the Silver and black have the newer version of Protune on the Hero 4

They also have 2 good videos at the bottom of the chart to compare both the Hero 4 Black and Hero 4 Silver

GoPro Hero 4 vs. Hero 3: Comparison Chart

The real question is will it be worth upgrading. The built-in screen of the Silver version would be nice for diving but without WB options, it will be less capable than a 3+ Black which you can control WB. And with the exception of the 4K30 video rate, what's the benefit of the 4 over the 3+?

Take a look at the full comapison list. The Silver is as good if not better than the older Hero 3+ Black was.

GoPro Hero 4 Camera Comparison Chart | GoPro Dealer UK

---------- Post added October 1st, 2014 at 01:05 PM ----------

yes, if the hero 4 black isn't compatible with the existing LCD backpac, then i'm not going to be interested in using it for underwater work.

It's looking likely that the older LCD Touch BacPac will still be compatible although there is a newer version coming which will offer more features, including the Swipe function found on the Hero 4 Silvers' screen.

---------- Post added October 1st, 2014 at 01:09 PM ----------

Anyone guess (or know) if the gopro housings can be attached to camera trays using a standard mounting screw? (or, how do the gopro housings mount to traditional camera trays?) I'd like to adapt an existing Ikelite tray & LCD video light from a defunct JVC WP-10 Picsio "camera" (worst dive related purchase I ever made!!!).

C.

Would the GoPro Tripod Mount offer a solution to this?

I like having the touch screen for underwater diving, so I may go with the Silver.
Also a big leap is from the Hero 3+ Black to the Hero 4 is Manual controls for ISO, Exposure, Color
I don't think that you will be able to touch screen underwater deeper than 10ft.
Control ISO sounds good, but which ISO it allow to set up? If I remember correct, previous version maximum ISO was 400 only.
So to be able to control from 100 to 400 is not real benefit in my eyes.
Personally I was more waiting for stabilization functionality, as Sony 100 has.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom