Question Gopro11 white balance and filter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You don't really need the filters if you're willing to do some post processing. I use a GoPro 11 and decided that I did not want to carry 3 filters, one for each depth. Also, I've seen enough of ruined footage because the filter wasn't right for depth/environment.

I shoot without lights with the following settings:
  • Linear lens
  • Hypersmooth On
  • 10-bit
  • Bitrate High
  • EV Comp -0.5 (Still experimenting here)
  • White balance: Native
  • ISO: 100 - 400
  • Sharpness low
  • Color flat.

Interesting settings, several quite similar to me, some different. I get that white balance native would be more uniform starting point for post-correction, but don't you risk losing some of the colour information in the file (potentially sometimes little to no information in some of the colour channels to boost/correct) vs a warmer white balance setting which has similar effect to using a filter (eg camera correcting what it captures)?

Also, if I understand your movie description you have done post-processing stabilization, any reason why you don't do Hypersmooth Boost on the GoPro?

Then I fix the colors using daVinci resolve which is free.

I'm just starting to learn daVinci, having used other software before. I found some tutorials but if you have recommendations to any that were particularly helpful to you for UW colour correction it would be appreciated.

Here's an example before and after:

Or even another example:

So even with my amateurish crappy skills the end result is quite good.

The only issue you'll have while color correcting in software is that if someone or you shines a light on your object that part of the image will be saturated with red. Luckily this can also be fixed by applying masks to specific ranges of color, luminance and saturation in order to further correct those over saturated bits. (this is "advanced" usage and it will take more time to master).

Nice! Thanks for sharing

Interesting settings. I get that white balance native would be more uniform starting point for post-correction, but don't you risk losing some of the colour information in the file (so little to no channel information to boost/correct) vs a warmer white balance setting which has similar to effect of using a filter (eg camera correcting what it captures)?
Well I read about it and the internet said to use native in order to have minimal post processing on the camera. I believe the more you mangle the image the more noise gets introduced. GoPro say that the native WB is mostly raw sensor data without adjustments so I'm not losing color data. Whatever other WB modes do I can also reproduce in post.

Also, if I understand your movie description you have done post-processing stabilization, any reason why you don't do Hypersmooth Boost on the GoPro?
I'm still experimenting with this. My issue with more agressive stabilization is that it will crop the frame. To be honest I haven't bothered to check which one looks better: If done in post or in the camera :)

I'm just starting to learn daVinci, having used other software before. I found some tutorials but if you have recommendations to any that were particularly helpful to you for UW colour correction it would be appreciated.
I have consumed a lot of tutorials which I merged on my head :) What I recommend is:
  • Watch a few of their own training videos, especially "introduction to editing" and "Introduction to color" which help immensely with learning how to move around the app. Especially configuring timelines, resolutions and what to do if your input resolution is different from the output one. (For example I shoot at 4K and output at 3440x1400 which requires cropping the frame)
  • Search for UW color correction videos on youtube to see some strategies like manipulating the red channels in lift, gamma and gain. Some people prefer tunning temperature, tint and contrast. You'll have to experiment a bit and look at the curves/scopes to see how each setting changes the RGB channels.
  • Sometimes I use a basic color plate to set the white and black points. The trick is to find something cheap, small and waterproof. Or I use a piece of neoprene on a diver to pickup the black point and something white to calibrate the white point. this gives you a starting point.
1674040762407.png

• When you're comfortable enough you can start experiment with qualifiers (which is a whole other bunch of youtube videos) which allows you to apply modification nodes to only parts of the image (I use this to fix red saturated images when flashlights are present). This can even be keyframed for ninja-level color correction :)
  • As an example, for basic color correction you don't need to do much as seen below. It's mostly tuning the Gain values
1674041221988.png

So even with my amateurish crappy skills the end result is quite good.

The only issue you'll have while color correcting in software is that if someone or you shines a light on your object that part of the image will be saturated with red. Luckily this can also be fixed by applying masks to specific ranges of color, luminance and saturation in order to further correct those over saturated bits. (this is "advanced" usage and it will take more time to master).
this was super helpful! thanks

im using Dive+ mobile app on android. its largely OK and no complaints. I paid for a month only.

Interesting settings, several quite similar to me, some different. I get that white balance native would be more uniform starting point for post-correction, but don't you risk losing some of the colour information in the file (potentially sometimes little to no information in some of the colour channels to boost/correct) vs a warmer white balance setting which has similar effect to using a filter (eg camera correcting what it captures)?

Just the opposite. I don't think you ever gain information through in-camera processing so shooting native/raw captures all the information that is available. Of course, that will mean your video straight out of the camera won't look as nice. Many people don't want to post-process so those white balance and gopro color settings are designed to give you the best video out of the camera.

Many people don't want to post-process so those white balance and gopro color settings are designed to give you the best video out of the camera.
Agreed. Most people I dive with use a small rig with lights. Works perfectly for close up shots.

Or use an app like @sandys1 mentioned.

Hey guys, I found this thread as I was searching for info for filters vs white balance on the Hero 11, which I've just bought. My question is basically the same as the OP, except if I buy filters I might go even cheaper than him and get the Soonsun filters. There is a 0% chance that I will post-process color, so what I get out of the camera is what I'm going to use.

There didn't seem to be a consensus the fist time around, so thought I'd pose the question again. Are filters really better than setting the white balance to a warmer manual setting or using the Gopro's auto white balance function? Or perhaps filters combined with auto white balance function?

If you want to "play" with different settings while under water, then get the gopro labs firmware so you can use the QR code feature to change settings. Create as many as you want, laminate them, and then just point the gopro 11 at the QR code to switch.

My first Gopro 11 video shot without red filter, nor color correction, nor post processing.

Just for the record, let me know if I need to improve it, here’s my GoPro 11 Settings:
Standard 4k l 30 l W
Res I FPS 4k l 30
Lens Wide
Hyper Smooth On
Standard Capture Off
Duration No Limit
HindSight off
Timer off
Zoom 1x
Protune
10-Bit On
Bit Rate High