Question Gopro11 white balance and filter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been using my GP11 a lot more recently one thing I've noticed that is for the same settings, lights, environment that I am getting a slight greenish cast. It is very minor nothing I can't edit out easily. But kind of annoying as I could just take my GP10 videos edit them for content and throw an unsharp mask and publish.

Still overall happy, having the HDR is nice for the cave videos I normally do.

A few things I found out using my Gopro (7 and 11) :
Post processing is better than a red filter if you don't dive very deep (less then 15/20 meters).
If you dive deeper (from 25/30 meters) very often post processing cannot find the reds that are lost. Then a red filter might be ok but you have the problem that it takes out some of the light that is left at those depths and then it gets very dark. Especialy with the setting that is recommended most of the time : ISO max 400 or 800. If you are working above ISO 400 or 800 it is getting "grainy" but if your camera cannot go higher than those ISO then it gets dark. So you have the choice of either very dark or grainy (if you leave the max ISO at 1600 or higher). I think a bit grainy is better than black ! The camera will work above those ISO only when needed anyway so this recommandation to keep the ISO below 800 is useless.
So my recommandations are : learn to use a software like Da Vinci Resolve. It is free and quite easy to manage the colors with it. You will have the best results (you can add some contrast that is missing most of the time and other effects). Leave your max ISO at 1600 at least, you camera will go there or higher only if needed and if it was needed your videos would look too dark if you leave 400 or 800. If you go deep, use an artificial light and if you don't, don't dream a Gopro cannot do miracles...

If you go deep, use an artificial light and if you don't, don't dream a Gopro cannot do miracles...
Yes! LIGHTS! Great post, by the way....

Backscatter is still selling red filters, but the new GoPros don't need then. Sometimes you need a bit of white balance corrections in your editing software. I have my GoPro 9 set to auto white balance

Backscatter is still selling red filters, but the new GoPros don't need then. Sometimes you need a bit of white balance corrections in your editing software. I have my GoPro 9 set to auto white balance
I do not think it is a good idea to use the auto white balance. If you do that the white balance changes during your dive sometime and then it is very difficult to correct the result with your editing software

What do you think about this plan:
-Surface to 20m (on a sunny day and great water visibility) no filter, no lights.
-More that 20m: Lights for close subjects (no filter) and red filter for wider shots.

I'm studying the option of using Gopro Lab firmware, use the code for white balance lock WBLK=1 so that the Gopro auto white balances until the capture starts then locks. I hope it works better than setting a particular value.

I will try to start shooting to a white slate and then to the subject. I hope this way the post in Da Vinci will be easier and faster.

For the ISO planning to use another QR provided by CmrAngel here

Opinions???

I do not think it is a good idea to use the auto white balance. If you do that the white balance changes during your dive sometime and then it is very difficult to correct the result with your editing software

I take video clips not an entire dive. White balance changes within a clip are problematic but not common, mainly at shallow depths or passing clouds change the ambient light.

Yes it's true sometimes there's a shift in the colors with auto whate balance but the trade off for me is when I surface I can take video and this adds a nice touch to my movie. I accept the small shifts in return for the convenience.

What do you think about this plan:
-Surface to 20m (on a sunny day and great water visibility) no filter, no lights.
-More that 20m: Lights for close subjects (no filter) and red filter for wider shots.

I'm studying the option of using Gopro Lab firmware, use the code for white balance lock WBLK=1 so that the Gopro auto white balances until the capture starts then locks. I hope it works better than setting a particular value.

I will try to start shooting to a white slate and then to the subject. I hope this way the post in Da Vinci will be easier and faster.

For the ISO planning to use another QR provided by CmrAngel here

Opinions???
Red filter beyond 20 m is where you need it the most, unfortuntly it is also where it gets very dark with a red filter and the Gopro strugle a lot to give you good results with it. By any means if you do use one use at least 1600 ISO : better a bit grainy than all dark... Light is the solution at greater depth.
To lock the white balance would be great. Let us know how it worked and how to do it ! I never heard anything about the Gopro Lab firmware.
I tryed to use a slate but it is really annoying to do and I then stoped.

Passeparici, check it out here Gopro Labs

It´s an Gopro official firmware, experimental, that let you use tailored QR codes to setup the camera without touching any button nor the touch screen.

The possibilities for underwater use are a big plus.

There are a couple of commercial sets of QR codes out there, but you can generate your own QR codes and then you just need to print them out and laminate to be used underwater.

I'm planning to print/laminate some, not too many as I don't think I will need to access all configuration options underwater.

I will share it when done.

Regards from Ramstein

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom