Got my OW, and AOW, what's next ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In a quarry, thermoclines 'warn' you as you go deeper, viz. isn't as good as the nicer oceanic settings, there's not current, no long swim out, waves are generally not an issue, and coming up away from a boat or needing to think about deploying an SMB aren't issues. Someone once posted elsewhere that some northern divers can run into trouble at 1st in the tropics because they're unconsciously used to the visual cue of falling light levels to provide feedback about depth, but the viz. may be great way deep in the tropics.

At the risk of inspiring a heckling debate about whether PADI should start offering a 'Salt Water Diver' specialty, there are some differences in diving the ocean. And people vary in their aptitude for retaining & applying some of the info. for judging conditions. I've got the NAUI Master Diver course manual as a general reference, and enjoy it. I've read over the chapter discussing waves, currents and such more than once. But if you hauled me out to a shore, and asked me to point out what was going on, you'd probably get an 'Uhhh…'

I love shore diving Bonaire. But if I were going to hit a place (for shore diving) I didn't already know and haven't been, like Lauderdale by the Sea, I'd want to do some advance research on the site 1st.

Somebody boat diving the ocean for the 1st time, I'd suggest starting with guided dives. It's like the advice sometimes given that if you change your gear, dive the new equipment 1st in a familiar, non-challenging environment. Get 'dialed in' to minimize task loading. Well, a new diver gawking at the reef & oceanic life, in the ocean for the 1st time, trying to navigate by compass and swim into mild current and wondering if the planned turn pressure was a good choice, might get a bit task loaded.

What a person 'should' do is also impacted by thoroughness of training, natural aptitude for the knowledge and skills, and personality of the diver - are you meticulous and disciplined, laid back and not very focused, etc...

Richard.

Yes. OW and AOW both, if their training has been what it should be. "OWD" stands for "Open water diver", and a person who holds an OW or AOW isn't able to plan and execute a simple dive under benign conditions, then that person hasn't received the training s/he has paid for.

There isn't something magical about "the ocean" that makes it inherently more difficult than a large outdoor pool (AKA a "quarry"), but there's of course a distinct possibility to encounter more difficult conditions like surge and/or current. I've called a number of dives even before splashing, especially in the start of my diving career, because I've deemed the conditions above my qualifications, that's just a part of the game.

IMNSHO, a diver who is issued an Open Water cert, should be able to plan and execute a dive without being pampered and sheltered by a guide. Yes, for unfamiliar conditions a guide, or a mentor, or a more experienced dive buddy, is a very good thing, but the OW cert holder should be able to evaluate whether his skills are sufficient for the prevailing conditions, and to plan and execute a dive within his/her limits. As an added bonus, being able to plan and execute a dive oneself, often gives you the insight and self-confidence to evaluate the risks of and hopefully abstain from a dive like this. Instead, those divers trusted the guide. With disastrous consequences.

Most dives that I've been on with a guide, they don't pamper and shelter you, they just try and show you some really cool stuff. They usually figure out who they have to pamper and shelter on the first dive.

Inherent differences between ocean and quarry, for starters the thermocline, visibility when going thru the thermocline. over all temperature. Navigation is a little easier in a quarry (there are usually lines going from one point to another). In the ocean, until you've got used to navigating and not looking at the pretty fish, coral can be very confusing when trying to get a reference point. Difficult boat entries and exits.

Without even reading any of the other answers I can predict what you're going to be told:

- go diving
- take a con-ed course
- take a technical specialty
- PADI sucks
- You suck
- anyone with less than 1000 dives sucks
- I am great
- Everyone I know is great
and
- everything you've done up to now was a mistake

R..

Don't forget:

• you will die if you dive with __X__! (where X = one or more of the following: split fins, a SpareAir, an Air2, without a buddy, a snorkle, a wetsuit, with a buddy, Dancer Fleet, a rebreather, or used gear)
  • get a BP/W

Last edited:
Just googled where the OP lives, for some good dive practice and plenty of pointers, he could drive up to WPB Blue Heron Bridge. He'll be sure to find plenty of divers there every weekend.

Does PADI go in a chronological order in it's training ? I did my night dive, navigation, deep dive. wreck drive to 80 feet so far. I also have my Nitrox

What is "next" in the training ? or what would you all reccomend ? I would like to increase my skills, the more knowledge I have the safer I will be, I feel.

dive, Dive, DIVE

Seriously, you can have all the knowledge, but till you get each skill to an art, you are not a good diver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom