Got my SSI Lvl 1 Freediving Cert in Amed, Bali by Apneista Freediving!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score

There are more details on the website, basically an additional review and some information on what freediving is. This is how my freediving went and the schedule I went through!
Link to actual article and facebook:
Page not found | Stronger Tomorrow
https://www.facebook.com/Strongertmr-549161375106317/timeline/

Being a current divemaster trainee in Singapore, I also wanted to try out freediving! So I decided to head to Amed, Bali to dive the liberty wreck as well as to learn freediving. I chose Apneita Freediving and Yoga as they were decently priced and also had good reviews on tripadvisor. I came into the course with some freediving experience. I had reached a depth of 10 meters before, practiced finning and breathhold every other week at the pool but have never received any freediving professional instruction.

Theory & Practical:

While the theory topics may seem intimidating, the concepts are not too difficult to grasp. You will be given two textbooks to study. Lessons are held in a relaxed manner and the atmosphere is kept light which I felt was conducive to learning. Apneista’s freediving philosophy is influenced from meditation, yoga and the understanding of neuroplasticity. Thus, there is alot of focus on breathing, relaxation and maintaining a positive state of mind. The lessons are also far from being boring as you will be performing many practical skills including breathwork, stretching and visualization to prepare you for your time in the water. Just from the theory sessions and breathwork alone, I managed to increase my dry apnea (breathhold on land) from 2:30 to 3:40 by the second day!

Open Water Dives:
There were three open water dives in total; One on the first day and two on the second. The dive site was right behind Apneista. We would walk out to the back of the shop to the beach and just entered the water from there. After swimming out a few dozen meters, Mari would then set up the buoy and the lines. Each open water session took an average of 1 to 1.5 hours.
For each dive, we started off with a few warm-up dives along the line to about 5 meters. Mari would slowly increase the length of the line while giving us guidance or correcting certain mistakes we were making. Along the way, she also introduced and demonstrated new skills for us to perform. These include ascending with arms only, gliding up the line, finning, duck dives, rescue techniques and many more (as seen in the topic list above). To get SSI certified, there were certain requirements and techniques that had to be completed successfully in order to pass (depth of 10 – 20 meters).

The Schedule -
Day 1:

• [*=left]Introduction to Freediving
    [*=left]Theory Session
    [*=left]Breathwork
    [*=left]Stretching
    [*=left]1st Open Water Freedive
    [*=left]Lunch
    [*=left]Theory Session
    [*=left]Visualization & Breathwork
Day 2:

• [*=left]Knowledge Review
    [*=left]Breathwork
    [*=left]Stretching, Yoga & Visualization
    [*=left]2nd Open Water Freedive
    [*=left]Lunch
    [*=left]Practicing of Equalization (as I had trouble performing it)
    [*=left]3rd Open Water Freedive
    [*=left]SSI Theory Exam (Short MCQ test)

SOME PHOTOS!

The shop
20151002170014.jpg

Hit 18.5 meters! Fin first!
gopr2944_1443676415736_high_0848.jpg

gopr2944_1443676415736_high_2045.jpg

gopr2944_1443676415736_high_6336.jpg
s
Let me know what you think and feel free to ask me if you have any questions or need any help with regards to Freediving in Amed! Also, you can head on to the article itself!

Cheers!

Very impressive. I wish my freediving skills existed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom