Got to demo the HOG Piston/Adjustable Reg - SWEET!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rgiles

Registered
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I need to let you know about a recent opportunity I had to dive with the NEW HOG (Highly Optimized Gear) Piston 1st Stage in Black Chrome coupled with the HOG Adjustable 2nd Stage. By the way the Black Chrome makes it look just like Titanium without the cost.

In short – WHAT A SWEET RIG . I have nothing against my current gear, from another major manufacturer; I actually like my current balanced set up. But all I can say is WOW, the HOG really breaths effortlessly. Here are the particulars.

On June 12-13, 2010 , I had the opportunity to dive with Miscellaneous, NetDoc and a few other new friends from Scubaboard. Eager to try new gear Net Doc let me borrow the HOG. The dive on the 12th was in nice warm 81 degree Florida water although there was a TON of particulate matter in the water that I thought for sure was going to plug the reg. No problem, the HOG provided air effortlessly like I was standing on dry land. The dive on the 13th was the real test. Diving the famous Florida Limestone Sinks in crystal clear 72 degree water, I planned to hit a max depth of 135’. The HOG again provided air as effortlessly at the surface as it did at 135. Not only did it breathe effortlessly but I swear it extended my bottom time on all my dives. Maybe I’m just use to the California cooler mid-50’s water but I got so much time out of my tanks, I needed to do deco stops. All my gear was exactly the same except for the HOG Regulator. All this leads me to conclude that the adjustable second stage and the effortless performance of this high quality regulator make it a must have for any diver who is looking for performance and reliability.

You may be asking – a couple questions;

Do I work for HOG or receive anything from them?

Do I own a HOG regulator?

The answers are NO to both questions, however I liked the reg so much I’m giving some serious thought to picking one up as my primary and relegating my current rig to my sling bottles.

Hope this helped in your decision making….. Happy diving.

Rgiles

Groovy. How do you think it would preform in cold water? Or, more accurately, Puget Sound water? I was looking at getting one, but that's the only draw back I can see.

Yup the hog regs really look very similar to the regs of some companies but cheaper.

The piston looks like a Mk20 and the D1 looks like a DST.

I believe they breath about the same too but way cheaper.

SangP

I need to let you know about a recent opportunity I had to dive with the NEW HOG (Highly Optimized Gear) Piston 1st Stage in Black Chrome coupled with the HOG Adjustable 2nd Stage. By the way the Black Chrome makes it look just like Titanium without the cost.

Rgiles

I don't think titanium is black. It's metallic looking like stainless steel.

Adam

Had a chance to buy a set at a great price, but being a dive bum I couldn't afford even the nice offer. Will have to give them more serious consideration next time.

i dive warm water here in the philippines, i'm not a tech diver... well maybe not now... though the toughness and durability, considering also the performance, is really inviting, would this be a good reg for me?

I've got a D1 and I love it. Great value and breathe really really well. Maybe the BP1 could be my travel reg...hmmmm :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom