Gotta have a compass???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One of the slickest set ups is a Suunto SK7 compass, mounted in one of Tobin's wrist bungee mounts. I believe he now makes a wrist mount for the Sucbapro compass but IMO the Suunto is much easier to read and use.
Another vote for the SK7...

Until your wife gives you the OK on the SK-7 or even one of the cheap $40 scuba compasses (they all point north once you get them level) you could check out the sportijng goods section of Walmart or similar stores. You need a compass that is liquid filled for UW use but any liquid filled one will work until the Visa is healed. Another option is a trip to ebay.

Something like this: 9020G Baseplate Compass

I have used something similar that I got at Wal-mart for $4.95 ... while I would LOVE an SK7 for my wrist (and will get one before long) I've found for clear water (where it's not needed for precision, but general directions most of the time) the cheap walmart version with some holes in the corners to fasten with bungee (for wrist mounting) works adequately. The problem with this is that the compass MUST be perfectly flat to read correctly or you will get a wrong reading. As noted above just make sure it is liquid filled (look for air bubbles as they are rarely completely filled on the cheap models) I've had my best sucess with a lensatic compass that I removed the top half of and ran bungee thru the hinged area instead for mounting on my wrist. I'd post pics, but I won't be home for several days...

Aloha, Tim

Natural nav-

i used to dive with a compass when i started getting serious into diving, as ive evolved into a better diver ive found that using the ocean itself for navigation is much easier and allows me to constantly moniter my direction, using different systems i stay on track and dont get lost, usually.

plenty of infomation is out there but practice and expereince is key and looking for the tiny signs takes some skill

the most common indicaters i use,

sunlight/moon light
current
slope of the sea floor
depth
ripples in the sand
kelp
and of course walls, docks, jettys etc

Jumbo

Own one - almost never use it.

Unless vis is really really bad AND where I surface is a significant issue I don't even take it in the water.

Navigate by landmarks and light and almost never get lost. Most dives it is not particularly relevant where you surface so making a mistake is a low risk event. If it is and visibility is low then a compass is essential, otherwise not so much.

I dive in viz anywhere from 5' to 100' + and always carry a compass. If for no other reason, It gives you peace of mind and keeps the DMs from giving you a hard time. I try to always keep situational awareness by referring to my wrist-mounted SK-7 (DSS), which I use on the top of my hand. That way I'm never wondering what direction the boat is or the shore.

While there are circumstances when you may be OK without a compass diving without one is not wise at all. Relying on your buddy as the sole navigator is a big mistake. In the event that you get separated you will be severely handicapped.

You need not disturb your console. A wrist or retractor mounted unit is fine and wrist is preferred by many.

Pete

I agree whole-heartedly! Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it...any day of the week!

I like the Suunto clipper compass. Cost $10 or less and is very compact, great for traveling. Initially, I wondered about the durability since is is so small and lightweight, but after a couple hundred dives it still is in good shape. Mine is attached to the end of my BC shoulder strap where I can easily get to it when needed, but forget it is there when I don't need to use it. I have also seen people slide it onto the band of their dive computer and it looks like you can buy it with a velcro strap to use on the wrist.

Not what I would recommend for serious navigation since it is a bit small and it does need to be level to give a good reading. But it is a good solution for someone needing a low cost compass and has worked well for me.

Depends on your buddy and where you plan to dive? FOr me if it's on a wreck then no as it's useless around all that metal. Wooden ones are different but still if you are on the wreck itself, even if it's scattered like the benwood careful observation will let you find your way back to the downline. That said I still always carry one. Either in my pocket or on my left arm. WHat happens if I get blown off the wreck? Or what if it's a dive from shore? I want to get back to where I started in most cases.

You mentioned going off your buddy's compass. That fine as if you are navigating a course it helps if one of you watches the compass and the other monitors your depth or takes note of natural features you can also use. Again I still always carry one in the event of getting seperated.

COmpasses are not expensive. You can get em off ebay for less than 50 bucks that will do just fine. I prefer a wrist mount but if you have a console and it has a spot you can just get the module and drop it in.

Just ask your wife if she wants you to come back from every dive if you need to justify the purchase. I'm sure she'll say yes unless you have a really big life insurance policy then you may not want the answer.

SK7 DSS bungee mount if you can afford it. A little more than the others but worth it. Although I got a deal on mine when a group of us on the deco stop bought a quantity of the compass and mount saved at least 20 bucks if I remember correctly.

As I dive mostly on UK wrecks a compass is pointless-all that metal. On a drift dive we will be going with the current. I get my compass out to teach novice divers and then put it away again.

I have dived all over the UK, and no skipper, including around Anglesey, has ever asked me about a compass. Skippers will check for a delayed surface marker buoy.

When you do buy a compass you might like to think about how you will keep the compass level when finning around. Wrist mounted can be tricky-don't believe the glossy adverts. Retractable compasses can be held in both hands.

Navigating using a compass is not a precise art. You will be heading in the general direction of......

Don't become fixated on the compass. Use as many visual references as you can, take a bearing on a feature, fin to that feature, take another bearing........

If the viz is really bad (1m on a wreck, 3m on a drift) then can the dive and dive safely another day. No point in heroics it is only diving for fun.

Back
Top Bottom