Gotta question Halcyons customer service

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vodolaz once bubbled...
Halcyon IS the manufacturer.

Hey Buddy, just ASKING!!!! Chilll...

On another note, maybe that IS the problem!!!!

vodolaz once bubbled...
Halcyon IS the manufacturer.

Halcyon gives the specs to the manufacturer's of some of their gear and they spec the components for some things they do make...they don't make everything 100% themselves. If you spec a specific part or material from a new source and there is a problem then Lubolds point is indeed correct...new source, new problems. This happens with "manufacturers" all the time, especially with OEM parts...hence the rust problem on some recent hardware...the actual manufacturer didn't do the acid baths correctly and/or sent parts made with the wrong steel alloy. Take a look at Halcyon inflators...there are at least three different varients based on date of manufacture because they received different stuff at different times.

LUBOLD8431 once bubbled...

Hey Buddy, just ASKING!!!! Chilll...

On another note, maybe that IS the problem!!!!
:confused: Should I have used bold or italics instead of caps to show emphasis?

bwerb once bubbled...

Halcyon gives the specs to the manufacturer's of some of their gear and they spec the components for some things they do make...they don't make everything 100% themselves. If you spec a specific part or material from a new source and there is a problem then Lubolds point is indeed correct...new source, new problems. This happens with "manufacturers" all the time, especially with OEM parts...hence the rust problem on some recent hardware...the actual manufacturer didn't do the acid baths correctly and/or sent parts made with the wrong steel alloy. Take a look at Halcyon inflators...there are at least three different varients based on date of manufacture because they received different stuff at different times.
Good point, bwerb. It was my impression that the wings are cut, sewn, and tested in house, but I hadn't thought about them outsourcing some of the production.

I broke the chord off. I used to pull too hard because my Apeks regs pinched the wing at the top. I was trapping air and did not realize what the problem was. The reason I did not fix it myself is that the valve cover would not come off. The whole valve would come off the wing. You need a special tool to separate the cover of the valve.

Charlie99 once bubbled...
What sort of failure mode? Did it leave the dump stuck in the open positon (very bad) or stuck in closed position (just a nuisance)?

Don,

From your first post to the last post I saw something that didn't look right. Are you using a 36# pioneer wing with doubles? That won't work well as you won't be able to dump air very easily. It's not the correct shape for doubles. Maybe I just read your first post the wrong way.

As far as the hole is concerned, I would just Aquaseal it. If it is a seam, then you would have to send it back in. Whatever you decide, I would first take it to the shop you purchased it from and have them contact Halcyon.

Some of the threads have gotten a little out of hand. I think most people would agree that people are vocal when there is a problem. When people don't have a problem, they usually keep quite. This in itself makes a small problem look much worse than it is. For every unhappy customer, you can probably find many more who are satisfied. The problem is that no one will ever know who these people are.

dcostanza once bubbled...
Dan,
The wing I'm having an issue with is my 36lb wing. Luckily my wife has a back up and my 55lb just arrived so we are covered. If we didn't have a spare, I would be a little more uptight as who knows how much time it will take before I get it back.

In retrospect, I was a little more than hesitant about sending it in as I have no problems with fixing things myself. Especially after reading the threads about folks with similiar problems and fixing them with Aquaseal.

I'll post the reply from Halcyon as well as the direction the situation will be going in once I hear from Halcyon. Should be a few days....

BTW: Since this issue has developed into several threads with a similar theme, and for those keeping a tally of how people treat their gear, for the record...mine is pampered.

Best Regards
Don

As promised, here is a follow up on an issue I had with Halcyon and one of my smaller wings (36lb Explorer).

After several calls to Halcyon to check the status of which direction Halcyon was going to go in regarding making the situation "right", I have positive comments. Just got off the phone with Charlie and he indicated that they are going to replace the wing at no additional expense to me. They also found a seam leak in it so regardless, the wing is being replaced. As those that were following this thread, my initial problem was a pin-hole, wasn't even aware there was a seam issue.

I indicated to Charlie I would have no problem taking responsibility for the damage if it was in deed due to something I had done to cause the hole. As that wasn't the case, I am very pleased to know that once again Halcyon is standing behind their product. My odyssey began with lines being drawn in the sand with the first person I spoke to at Halcyon. Nice to know that they have other people on staff that know how to handle a situation

Situation resolved with a positive outcome....I will continue to be a loyal Halcyon customer

Best Regards
Don

I just gave Halcyon customer service a call because one of the buckles on my Helios was rusting (looks as if one of the springs wasn't stainless).

They suggested I send the light in for repair. Since the buckle just screws into the delrin canister I suggested they just send me a new buckle. Two new buckles arrived in the mail about a week and a half later. It was probably one of the best experiences I've had with a cusomer service rep.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom