Grand Bahama

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Treetop

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Did my July trip to Grand Bahama.
Stayed at the semi-defunct Xanadu, only a few other people there, not many amenities open (bars, resturants, etc). Room was ok, except lost water two days, power one. They are recontructing and it has possibilities for the future.
Many of the shops and areas on the island appear to have been hit hard by the global economy failures, and are closing down in wide swaths (at least while I was there)
We dove with Unexso for one day and Grand Bahama Scuba for the remainder of the trip.
Do a dolphin encounter if you have a down day - fun!
We had a great time, and all the dives were good. Nice mix of wreck and reef. Water was nice and warm, used a 1mil suit on some, and bathing suit on others.

There were a couple of coral-maze dives that were very cool dipping under the coral formations and skimming the sand on the bottom. Saw sharks on a couple of dives, and did two shark dives at shark junction that had them swirling all about us. Night dive on shallow reef with phosphors in the water when you turned lights off.

As a note...

Reefs were covered by a ton of Algea, muting the colors a little, which Fred and crew helped to clean off some each dive, as the urchins are mostly gone. They seem to be great caretakers of the reef and wildlife in the area, and Fred is very knowledgeable about marine life and interactions as well.
Also, Lionfish everywhere. Cool to see, but hell on the other fish in the area, and don't get too close! I snorkeled off xanadu beach, and saw young lionfish about every ten feet along canal exit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom