Grand Cayman East End

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We dived at Jack McKenney they said it was a new dive spot the 2nd place was right in front of Ocean Frontiers buildings just outside the reef. The first day we dived Maggie's Maze I think on the 2nd dive. I saw 2 reef sharks at Jack Mckenny they said it was a place where he liked to film years ago. Water was about 87 on my computer The whole week 6/5 - 6/12 I didn't use a wetsuit just a long sleeve shirt one of those ones made for swimming in to keep the BC off my skin. It did drop to around 82 when we got down around 80-90 feet down, but didn't bother me I was too busy watching the larger reef shark. Probably about 8 feet long could be 6 hard to tell under water it had a orange tag in its back.

Sounds like a great dive - cannot believe the water was that warm; I've never seen higher than 82. Of course, I heard it was 106 degrees one day in the West Bay area!

Just returned from a week on the East End. Very nice diving w/OF - everything that's been said about them is true. Great operation with 3 nice boats, a hard-working friendly crew, and a good front office staff. I loved not having to touch my gear after Day 1 - very easy to get used to! :wink:

As far as water conditions, it was a little rough most days, but nothing terrible. We dove the Noth Side most of the week, and switched to the south toward the end as currents changed. Once you're in the water the chop isn't a factor, just be careful getting up on the ladder. Water temps averaged 82 for me (at depth).

Best dive for me was Snapper Hole, a swim-through loaded with silversides. Very cool.

dflaher...I think I was on the that dive boat with you at Snapper Hole (Thursday). Although I'm not sure which one on the boat you were.

My report is below...

We stayed at The Reef Resort and Dove with Ocean Frontiers from 7/3 to 7/10. I will have to say it was an amazing dive vacation.

We stayed at the northern most Reef Resort building which we were told was 4 years old (with the main building being 10 years old). The hotel was immaculate...all rooms have a view of the ocean with a huge sliding glass doors for a great view. The grout in the tiles was clean and the rooms had high ceilings which made it feel more spacious. The oustside deck was spacious. Everything was clean and perfect...our room had high ceilings too. There is a liquor store, Dunkin Donuts, and grocery store across the street. The prices were a little bit more than the US, but not bad at all. They had about everything you needed from meats, snacks, fruits, milk/juices, etc. We ate a couple of times at the resort and the food was very good. Did I mention the studio rooms are on special for $99 a night? That's a great deal!

Oh and for people that can't just sit on the beach and do nothing, the reef offers excellent snorkeling in 3-5 ft of water. Right in front of the hotel, I found two porcupine puffers, several lobster, a 4 ft barracuda, needle fish, stingrays, mantis shrimp, small crabs, serpent starts, anenomes, and lots of juvenile and adult reef fish. There's a lot to see and I suggest bringing some dive gloves for the snorkeling...but not the diving! I snorkelled for hours each day and never got bored because there was always something new to find.

We ate a couple times in Georgetown....but most of our meals were groceries in the morning and during the day but a more pricey meal at night. We ate at Over the Edge (on the north side of the island) a couple of times. I recommend the Wahoo....its kind of expensive but not crazy...a meal for two was $60 or so. We ate at the Lighthouse for our final meal and that place is pricey. One drink, an appetizer, our main course and a dessert with tip was $110....that should put it in perspective.

As far as diving with Ocean Frontiers...what a top notch operation (like everyone said). Everyone on the crew (15-20 people) were very personable and truly wanted your dive experience to be a great one. They would guide you if you wanted but as you were around a couple of days would allow you to explore on your own if you so desired. We seemed to miss alot on our one exploration dives though so it might be best do go with the guide if you don't want to miss the cool stuff. Elly does a great job with photography and videos during the dive so make sure to look her up! My favorite dive was Snapper Hole due to the awesome silverside filled swim throughs with huge tarpon. The reef on top was amazing too as you could peer down at the deep holes of silversides leading back into the swim throughs. Elly was there to capture it all ! Thanks Ocean Frontiers for a great dive trip!

I highly recommend this vacation...its was the best dive vacation I've ever had. Make sure to rent a car so you and explore the island.

That's good information to know before the trip. The dive op told me that it was illegal to dive with gloves....no one ever said anything to me that I couldn't snorkel with them. Oh well.

Thanks for the trip report Codeman. I was back in the States when you were in GC, so we probably weren't on the same boat :)

Wish I had known about Elly - we had a camera malfunction and didnt get any pix :(

I found the service and crew over at Ocean Frontiers absolutely amazing. Those guys work very hard for you. We did a week and a half of diving there and stayed at the resort on site. So nice not having to move your gear after the dive everyday. We left our gear on the boat everyday with their concierge level dive service transporting all our gear for us and filling our doubles and stage bottles. Nothing but good things to say about them from my end. I also thought that there were a variety of sites to dive from shallow water reefs to deep endless walls whatever your level of diving.

Spot on.

I just returned from a week-long stay on Grand Cayman. The first half of the week was very calm. The first day I went out diving the water on the North side was literally a sheet of glass. As a front moved in toward the middle of the week, it became windier as each day passed up until I left. We were still able to get out and dive, but it was certainly choppier than the first day.

I was on a cruise back in December and Grand Cayman was our last port of call. That day Mother Nature decided to throw a fit and GC officials closed the port to guests.

Point is, it's really hit or miss. They're just starting the hurricane season at this point, just as an FYI. Supposed to have 16 (?) named storms this season...if I recall what the DM told me correctly.

Chances are that if on a certain day the East end is to rough, you can probably get some diving in on the North or West side if you are up for the drive over to the SMB area. Most North dives leave from the Yacht Club and West dives leave from the public beach area between Calico Jack's and the Tiki Bar. I'd highly recommend Dive 'N Stuff if you are planning to dive the North or West. Dusty runs a great operation and only takes out small groups, so you get a great and personal experience. I dove with him the whole week I was there.

On the East End, I have heard nothing but good things about Ocean Frontiers. They were also recommended by the condos where I stayed in the Bodden Town area. I just decided to do all my diving on the North/West for this trip so I didn't get a chance to try them out.
Would be willing to share the name of the Condos you stay in the "Bodden Town area"?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom