Grand Cayman: Seeking advice for dive op referral

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wyochiro

New
Reaction score
I just completed my PADI confined water training, and I am looking for a good dive op to do my referral. I am staying in the Old Man Bay area on the North side. Any suggestions for a nearby dive op who is personable, safe and thorough? Has anyone used Morrits Tortuga Divers on the East end?

I haven't used Morrits, but Ocean Frontiers is fantastic. They are one of the most through and helpful operators I've dove with. I highly recommend them, especially since you just finished your certification. Diving with someone like them will help put you at ease. They are on the East End as well. If you feel adventurous, ask them about their UV night dives. I heard the recently started offering those.

AFAIK those are your only two options on the East End...

I am in the same boat (no pun intended). Except I will have my open water certification done soon. I tried to get it done in Puerto Vallarta last month through the referral process and it was awful. The dive operators there were not reliable, did not show up as expected, and we only got one of the two days of diving in. Plus the water was very rough and not great visibility. So, hope your experience in Grand Cayman is much better that what I had in PV. However, I am also going to Grand Cayman and wish to use a reliable operator, and stay in a place (condo or villa) where they will come to pick me and my buddy up. I will check out Ocean Frontiers. Thank you for the info.

I am in the same boat (no pun intended). Except I will have my open water certification done soon. I tried to get it done in Puerto Vallarta last month through the referral process and it was awful. The dive operators there were not reliable, did not show up as expected, and we only got one of the two days of diving in. Plus the water was very rough and not great visibility. So, hope your experience in Grand Cayman is much better that what I had in PV. However, I am also going to Grand Cayman and wish to use a reliable operator, and stay in a place (condo or villa) where they will come to pick me and my buddy up. I will check out Ocean Frontiers. Thank you for the info.
Are you planning to stay on the East End? I may be wrong but I don't think Ocean Frontiers picks up. So therefore you may want to stay at Compass Point since OF is located there also. Cayman Dive Vacation Deals Compass Point also includes a car rental which you'd most likely need/want unless you plan to do everything there. In case you're not aware, the East End is a 45min drive from the airport/Georgetown and there are limited resorts/shops/food options out there. The other option is to stay at Morritts and dive with Tortuga Divers/Red Sail.

If you're not wanting to do that, pick any condo/resort along Seven Mile Beach. Here's some options: Cayman Islands Condos | Cayman Islands Vacation Rentals - you can also find them on www.vrbo.com.

Most of the west side dive operators will pick you up at your resort, a couple even pick up right off the beach with a flat bottom boat. This is the Kittiwake website but it lists the CITA operators down the right side of the page - almost all offer free pickup also. A couple of them have shops/facilities on SMB, most are boat based from one of the nearby marinas.

My west side short list generally includes:

Neptune's Divers
Ambassador Divers
Indigo Divers
Wall to Wall Diving

But just about all of them are good, since they all charge about the same, they compete on service. Bad operators don't last long on Grand Cayman.

Try contacting Divers Down. They are near downtown Georgetown and will pick up folks at their hotel, condo, villa, etc. Did 2 weeks of diving with them January 2012 and would highly recommend them

We did our open water training, after doing book work/pool work locally, with Eden Rock down in Georgetown; really easy process. We used Ocean Frontiers for our advanced open water and they were a first class outfit.

Eden Rock was a friendly crowd to work with. The shop at lighthouse and at cobalt coast were great too. They're both on the north end IIRC.

Back
Top Bottom