Grand Cayman shore dives without a dive op on site?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oregondiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
We will be doing shore diving (and boat diving with Dive Tech/Cobalt Coast) but will also be doing shore diving at different sites around the island. Looking for shore diving locations that don't have a dive op on site since we will be bringing tanks with us.

Any suggestions for good shore spots? A shop had said that mostly only locals (with their own tanks) go to these type of spots and they are mediocre. The best shore diving spots have dive ops on site.

Wrong/right? Any info appreciated!

We arrive in October. Whooo hooo!

(edit: clarification....we are not flying with tanks, but have unlimited tanks to shore dive with at locations that do not have dive ops at them)
Shell

Last edited:
There was a nice spot on the northern end of the 7 mile beach that was right by a cemetery that I think would be good for a shore dive. I snorkeled there the day before all my boat dives and wished I could have dove there. I don't recall the name but all the locals know of it. The taxi dropped us off right at the cemetery and we walked back from there. Saw a couple sting rays and decent fish in that area.

Why are you bringing tanks with you there is a place that will rent tanks for off premise use.

Divers supply

Cemetery Beach, Smith's Cove, Babylon are three I can think of. Babylon is a long swim out. I've heard Cemetery Beach is pretty shallow a long way out also. I'm fairly sure the Maze on the south side is shore accessible also - IDK anything about it.

Some of these are at resorts or no longer exist (condo development): http://www.shorediving.com/Earth/Caribbean/Cayman_Islands/index.htm

Last edited:
If I understand correctly, I assume you will have a package from Dive Tech that includes unlimited shore diving so you will be using their tanks. I would suggest that you dive their site at Lighthouse Point as well as Cobalt, and also try out Turtle Reef. You will need to rent tanks from Olin at Sundivers on site, but not expensive to do so, and in my opinion, one of the best dives on the island, day and night.

If you are staying at Cobalt, the mini wall there is also very good and the dive masters will probably boat you out to the main wall in their dinghy if you ask. Not a bad wall and an easy underwater swim back to the dock.

Sorry, I meant to say we have an unlimited shore diving package and have permission to take our tanks with us to other locations that do not have dive ops on site (no, not flying with tanks). So we will be arriving at dive sites on the island WITH tanks from a Grand Cayman shop (instead of renting from onsite vendors).

Sorry for the confusion!

Testudo, yea I saw that this morning and have it saved! That was an excellent resource as well~!

Ive seen people do Babylon and another site out from Barefoot Beach.
Talk to releck97 (http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/members/releck97.html) on here. He has the most info I have seen about where the people "in the know" go.
Ive dove Babylon and its absolutely breathtaking. Will be there in 3 weeks. Cant wait.

Last edited:
The mini wall at Cobalt Coast is worth a couple of shore dives - lots to see there. Nice to do a night shore dive from as well, apparently.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom