Grand Turk

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Doc! What are the chances of whales in mid-January?

In general, Feb-Mar is your best bet.

However, sometimes you can catch them in late Jan. Mid-Jan is a lower likelihood, but certainly not outside the realm of possibility.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Spent 5 months there. Be sure to go to the pier and get a look at the sea horses. They are 6" or better. And if you can get to South Caicos do the Airplane and Eagles Nest. Have seen flights of 17 rays on the wall in front of the Airplane. South Caicos is a must if you are in the area. Stay the day and hang out on that Wall!

Thanks for the tips! I see that you recommend South Caicos wall. Do any of the dive boats on GT make the Columbus Crossing passage? How long does it take and what is the crossing like in terms of kidney pounding?

About 2.5 hrs at 12 knots. Don't know who would take you by boat. check with Cecil at sea-eye or the Oasis. You can probably fly for 125.00 r/t. There are a couple of operators on South Caicos doing day trips. Can.t recall any names.

Check with Oasis. They'll do a trip with enough interested divers, at a premium, of course. It's an all day affair.

Since Bob & Diane left South Caicos Ocean Haven about 6-8 months ago, SC has only a single dive op, and it's focus is more on taking out fishing charters. Scuba is kind of a side line. Can probably get r/t air for ~$110 thru Sky King.

Anyway, for an orientation to SC scuba, see---->

http://www.undercurrent.org/UCnow/articles/SCaicos200105.shtml

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Thanks Doc! Sounds a bit too rustic for my tastes. I like a bit more of a variety topside. The diving sounds intriguing. I think a charter to Salt Cay might be a little better of a day in the wilds for us. Especially when one considers the wave action factor. I'd rather tackle the shallows between GT and Salt Cay than the wide open Columbus Passage. I can't wait to get out of Dodge. Last winter was a banner year for travel: three times to Coz and once to TCI. Unfortunately, that means we spend the rest of the year paying for it. It also means we have to nix a late summer trip. C'est la vie! Camping and canoeing will have to suffice this summer.

we did the Salt Cay trip with Oasis a couple of years ago. great fun! you stop about halfway there and snorkel down to pick up some conch shells (with critters inside) that they bring to the island and use to make a fresh conch salad to have along with lunch - very tasty! It's a good test of your 40 foot free dive as you go about 15-20 feet down to get them. Once at Salt Cay you get to play with the rays in about 2 feet of water. they're very conditioned to come to the frozen food provided and end up bumping into you like puppy dogs. rest of the time is spent snorkeling / eating /relaxing. Bring a towel or something to sit/lie on when you are on Salt Cay. - enjoy!

So. . .its just a beach trip? No diving?

I suspect that "sigelr" is confused about this.

To the best of my knowledge, none of the GT dive ops make a trip of this description to Salt Cay.

His description does, however, sound exactly like the trip all of them make to tiny, unihabited Gibb's Cay about a mile off GT.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Back
Top Bottom