Grease / oil inside second stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you for your replies, it helps.

We do not possess a CO analyzer at the moment, will definitively push the owner to add this on next month budget. I reviewed the compressor attendant schedule, and he is indeed changing filters every 100 tanks. Logs are pretty well filled and he's doing his job on time. Have VIP 5 tanks so far, air and Nitrox, and haven't find any evidence of oil materials inside. Compressors are old but run smoothly. There isn't any exhaust or smokers in the near area where the air intake is.

What if my first assumption was wrong ? What if it wasn't oil that I found in the reg but rather some residues of oxidation or corrosion ? I've read somewhere else that the brass and copper could generate that black kind of oily residue when mixed with water/seawater ?

An other member suggested that changing filters every 100 tanks is a bit too much. I was planning to do this actually even more frequently. What is your opinion on this since it is manufacturer's recommendation ? Keep it that way ?

Thanks once again for helping me out.

Rom

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425706419.204199.jpg

Rom

That might be the o-ring breaking down. I have seen one once where the o-ring was just black goop/sludge.

yep- That looks like a bad o-ring. I'll bet the prior service guy, if he was doing annuals, was not changing the o-rings on the hose.How many dives do the regs get a year? Many of the manufacturers, when they mention an annual rebuild, are doing so based on 50-100 dives per year. If you are diving much more than that, you may want to perform the parts swaps more regularlyGood luck!!

Thanks guys, I'm going to do a full servicing on all our regs and hoses and make sure my guests get the best service and dive in a safe environment ! I truly appreciate your comments.

Good luck.

Rom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom