Great Barrier Reef recommendation needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Greetings!
I have (alas) but one day to dive the Great Barrier Reef this December. Can anyone give me a recommendation of a dive outfit and/or location? I will also be bringing my two teenagers who will be snorkeling while I am diving.
Thanks!
Elephant Seal

Welcome to :sblogo:....Elephant Seal
:wave-smil :wave-smil
:chicken:

Elephant Seal:
Greetings!
I have (alas) but one day to dive the Great Barrier Reef this December. Can anyone give me a recommendation of a dive outfit and/or location? I will also be bringing my two teenagers who will be snorkeling while I am diving.
Thanks!
Elephant Seal

Greetings and welcome to ScubaBoard!!!

My wife and I have been to Cairns Australia (and most of the rest of Oz) the Past 4 years in a row. We are going again next year. We always use Tusa Dive for day trips and the Spirit of Freedom for Liveaboard diving in the Coral Sea and outter Reef Systems.

http://www.spiritoffreedom.com.au/

http://www.tusadive.com/daydive.htm

It's the same company and same group of dive instructors/dive masters. A fantastic bunch - and the diving isn't bad either. Last year we took my mom and our daughter for a couple of weeks (then sent them home so we could do the live aboard). All 4 of us went out on the day boat, my mom was 70 then and had the time of her life snorkling. The day boats take snorklers and divers

There is another shop that I have heard good things about - Pro Dive. Which is also in Cairns, you can also catch boats out of Port Douglas, Calypso has a good reputation there.

December - great weather but warm onshore. The box jelly fish are out that time of year, but they tend to stay in close to shore and are not found out on the reef's. But beware when walking the beaches, you will see signs on all the beaches with good descriptions, pictures, warnings and first aid suggestions etc. Dive skins etc provide plenty of protection against those jelly fish.

Feel free to drop me a pm if you have detailed questions

Oh while there, try the barramundi and a VB

Cheers

Steve

Howdy and welcome to SB!

Check out our Australia forum.

It does help with discussions if you complete your Profile. And it's even more fun when you load an Avatar (personal pic for each post) and a Profile pic. See UserCP to access these if you'd like to...? :wink:

If you haven't yet, click Forums above and start going thru the list - looking for those of interest to you, especially your local dive club. Click the link in my Sig below to PM me if I can help you around here..

:cowboy: don

Hi mate

If one day I would go QuickSilver.

They depart from Cairns and Port Douglas.

You have a choice, and the link I am providing is to the entire company so you can choose from the two dedicated snorkel/dive boats or the day boat to Agincourt or the Low Isles.

I like the day boat to Agincourt especially with family as there is alot to do on the boat besides snorkelling or diving. Which comes under the link Quicksilver Cruises.

http://www.quicksilvergroup.com.au/

pro dive does a 3 day 22 night trip to miln & flynn reefs. The boat was great the food was good and the crew were very professional. there were snorkelers and divers on board

I 2nd prodive. Been there this year (although 1st liveaboard I've been on). Crew was great (one person had a 'different' personality, but once you got to understand him - fine) - the rest were fantastic. (Although they have 3 boats going out)
Best value for money, if you ask me. (We were going to go twice, until something came up).
Figured that 2x 3 days and 2 nights equalling total 6 days was better than paying same price for 1 x 4 day 3 nights at same price with others. :D

Cheers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom