Great Dive shop in Bermuda?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScottyK

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi All,

Been away for a long while, but my 15 and 13 year old kids are finally ready to (hopefully) catch the dive bug.

We are going on a cruise to Bermuda in two weeks and will have a day or two layover. Unfortunately, it was too short notice for complete certs, so we are going to have the kids do what used to be called a "resort course" where you spend a day learning and then go on an easy dive.

I'm looking to see if anyone has done this in Bermuda and can steer me towards a great dive shop. General recommendations are welcome too. I just want to make sure its a great first experience for my kids...

Thank you!
Scott

Bermuda, on a cruise and a resort course may not be the best choice to get your kids interested in diving. As far as dive shops, I think there are only a handful. I have used two different ones and would not describe either of them as great.

Bermuda, on a cruise and a resort course may not be the best choice to get your kids interested in diving. As far as dive shops, I think there are only a handful. I have used two different ones and would not describe either of them as great.

Thats a bummer. My wife and I had a great time doing a resort course 20+ years ago and got certified right after we got home. My kids are also already athletic water rats who surf, snorkel and love being outdoors. We think that getting them out on the reef for a fun day with scuba would be a great way to get them hooked. Curious as to why you feel otherwise....

Just my personal feeling. We were in a similar position in 2009 when our 12 and 15 year olds expressed an interest in getting certified. They did the pool work home and open water dives in Bonaire. We had a week for them to finish their open water dives and then getting comfortable diving. The instructor was great and so was the dive set up and the ability to start with easy calm no current shore dives. Our kids were hooked and are avid divers today. There are many great dive shops and instructors on Bonaire.

So with the disclosure that I avoid cruise ships like the plague and plan trips and diving when cruise ships are not in port, I am thinking it may not be the best platform to get to a dive shop, get instruction, get the dive in and get back to the boat. You will be limited to taxis (very expensive) or bus for travel if the dive shop is not within walking distance of your ship.

I also have a low opinion of resort courses and if all goes well, great. I have seen and heard where they haven't and one bad resort course dive experience could derail any future interest in getting certified.

Bermuda is a beautiful island and you should enjoy the island. It is not really a dive destination though and that is why there are only a few dive shops. I have enjoyed the diving but I don't go to Bermuda to dive. Your resort course dive will likely be a boat dive which adds another level of complexity and challenge, especially for children who are not certified and only instruction will be a resort course.

That's all. One person's opinion.

I’ve dived with Dive Bermuda as well, and they were really good to dive with both times. We were there this past March and they really helped my new diver wife become more comfortable in her diving. They now have a location at Somerset Bridge, not too long of a bus ride from the Dockyard. Here’s a link to courses offered at that location Go Diving — Dive Bermuda at Somerset. This is the old Blue Water Divers location, who are now at the Dockyard Blue Water Divers. I have never been diving with them, so can’t say much about them.
I have never been diving with the Dive Bermuda crew at Somerset, just Grotto Bay, but can’t imagine that they’re not as good there.
Have a great time in BDA!

Erik

Well, there’s this;

IMG_6873.jpeg

Thank you all for the recommendations and links. Really appreciate it!

Thank you all for the recommendations and links. Really appreciate it!
Bermuda is on my bucket list.

Would you keep us apprised as to how this went?

Thanks, and good luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom