Great trip report; Capt. Don's Habitat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rhino434

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Well, my wife and I spent last week at Captain Don's Habitat. I did a LOT of research on the resort, and saw some bad and good posted about it. I wanted to go there primarily because I have read about it, since Captain Don actually built it way back when (he doesn't own it anymore).
We were very please with our ocean view room (not a suite). It was very clean, and the AC worked well. The grounds and pool were very nice, and since I like iguanas, we felt just great when we were constantly visted by the little buggers at the room, the pool, the restaurant and even on a beach dive! DO take mosquito spray, since they do go after you at dark (sometimes in the daytime too).
Capt. Don's dive operation believes in "diving freedom". They do a decent first day briefing, before your required check out/bouyancy dive, but leave you alone-even on the boat dives (within safety limits). I really like that, since I am an instructor and my wife a good advanced diver. Capt. Don's does make you pay for Nitrox, but you can sign out a tank(s) as often as you like. We even met him.. he IS quite the character!
The diving was fabulous! More challenging in the south of the island, due to stronger currents, but great everywhere. We have never seen that many Drum Fish, eels and of course.... Lion Fish. Divemasters were killing them on every dive.
We had the privilage of diving the Hilma Hooker wreck when Flamingo Dive had a group of disabled divers coming through. Every one of them had a huge smile on their faces at 85 feet!
We met another couple (Mike and Leslie) on ScubaBoard, and made several dives with them. We formed a friendship and will dive together again soon.
We dined at a variety of restaurants, and ate at Don's several times as well. Food is pricey everywhere, but was very good. Elle's Deli, Unbelievable, Casablanca, Bistro de Paris, etc.
The bottom line is WE WILL BE BACK! Our bucket list is getting smaller on places we must dive, but Bonaire (and the Habitat) is a do over for sure. untitled.jpg

Back
Top Bottom