Great White Shark encounter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

textilet

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was volunteering with Ocean Defenders Alliance on Sunday cleaning up ghost fishing gear in the Channel Islands in California. We had great diving and brought up some rusty old lobster traps from the bottom near Santa Cruz Island, then headed back to port in Ventura. On the way in I spotted a large white object in the water, which turned out to be a whale carcass. As we moved in closer, we could see huge bite marks on the side of the whale and noticed even from a distance that the carcass was being... Shaken. Here is the video of what happened next: Great White Shark, Ventura California on Vimeo

thnx for posting

That was a very cool video. Looks like something from NatGeo. Thanks

Very cool encounter.

COOL! :D
Is that a tagged one? (Looks like somethings atached to the left side of the fin) If so, maybe you can see where it came from and where its going on that shark tracker website?

Robert - no we weren't in the water. We tried to psych each other up to get in as we closed in on the dead whale, but once we laid eyes on that shark, no one mentioned it again. It was just... mammoth. Without knowing how it would respond to a person in the water so close to its food, it was just unthinkable. We had a pole cam on board, but I had used it all day and when I picked it up, the $&@# battery was dead. So I flipped out momentarily, then Pete tied a rope to our hfg10 housing and we chucked it in, pointing the lens in the right direction by pushing on it with a gaff.
Tigerman - It does indeed look like it is tagged, we are trying to track down who is tagging sharks and find more info on this individual if possible. If anyone reading this knows who we could contact we would welcome the information.

I don't blame you one bit for not getting in the water! One thing with a small blue shark but that is the size of a bus!

The size of a bus, with teeth the size of daggers and potentially a mindset to protect its dinner from the partycrasher. I think Id be weary about getting in as well..
I generally LOVE meeting sharks under water, but a great white feeding is not on my list of "things I just have to dive with" :p

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom