Great White Shark in Jupiter +

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Amazz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Just when I thought that diving couldn't get any better after a week in Cozumel and spotting a huge sawfish the other day, I was wrong.

On Tuesday, I took a lousy shot on a hogfish and put it on my stringer attached to the butt of my speargun. I say lousy shot because the fish was ringing the dinner bell as I mosied down the reef. Ding Ding Ding, twitch twitch twitch. I was minding my own business like the other day when a frickin 14 foot GREAT WHITE SHARK (yes I am shouting) came right up to me from the direction I was headed. There was no mistaking it. It was the most beautiful and largest thing I have ever seen underwater. As it passed me, I tracked it carefully with the tip of my gun to poke it if it made an aggressive move toward me or my fish. It was within range for me to touch it and it didn't steal my fish. I have a witness with my friend Glen, but no video to make me famous on the Today Show. You definitely hear that music when the GDGW is approaching. We had that hogfish for dinner.

Last year there were a few sightings here in the Keys also, pretty good stuff

Lucky you! That would only have been made better by having video. Congrat's on your sighting and getting back home with all your body parts...:banana:

most people I wouldn't believe. coming from you on the other hand makes for no doubt. I've not had the pleasure of seeing one of these monsters. but it sure sounds damn cool! :cool2:

most people I wouldn't believe. coming from you on the other hand makes for no doubt. I've not had the pleasure of seeing one of these monsters. but it sure sounds damn cool! :cool2:
It could have ended very differently. It was sizing me up and surely looking for an opportunity. Maybe two divers and two sets of bubbles made it wary of trying anything aggressive. Thank God I wasn't solo, not that another diver could have saved me anyway. Because of their size I know it makes them dangerous but o wonder in the same habitat would they be any worse than Bull sharks. Those beasts have scared me out of the water. Maintaining eye contact helps too, I imagine. Captain Kurls of all places....needless to say, we didn't shoot any more fish.

I ran into one last summer while swimming. They seem to be pretty much resident locally (i.e. not just one or two but a half a dozen or more). But they are juveniles. That said the occasional sea lion washes up worse for wear. They appear to move on when they get bigger. So far no one has been bit, except for last July 4th weekend when the jerk fisherman toyed with one for 45 minutes.

I've been thinking of moving down to Jupiter, FL but now I am reconsidering it...!

First thing I thought when I read the title.......You lucky bastid, I gotta move to So Florida!!:D

I would LOVE to see one. Different strokes for different folks, I guess!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom