Great white shark repellents and deterrence

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seems like a nice product... Wonder how well it would work while hunting...?

I have seen it in use in Jupiter, but didn't ask the person using it. At least they came back on the boat....but so did everyone else that day.

I also remember seeing at JDC in stock at some point.

This is part of the same video mentioned above. Also take notes, then give it a try yourself, if you see a large GW shark. Cliff notes: Hit shark really hard and knock it silly. Roll shark on back and put in catatonic state. Drown shark, then eat it's hundreds of pounds of liver. Yummy!

There is no shark repellent that is proven to work. The good news is that shark attacks on divers is very rare. One thing you can do is attack the shark if it gets too close, this is something that is totally alien to them and it will buy you a little time but they will come back. Use that time to get to the surface so you can narrow the directions from which they can come back at you. The bad news is that great whites fear nothing so this may not work on them.

What area are you referring too? Swimming away quickly I heard just makes you look like a tasty snack. I heard its best to stand your ground.

If they are hungry, and you are looking like a treat I doubt there is much you can do except scream and stab them like crazy, which may only lead to more sharks coming since there would be blood in the water... Yours and theirs. Fact is, attacks on recreational divers are rare... Really rare. Worse place to be is in the surf, on the surface or running around spearing fish. Minimize those three things and you will un-likey encounter a shark attack. I like to carry a 4' collapsable spear for lion fish ... That would be my first line of defense, offer up the fish or a jab to the nose... Problem solved. Great white? Bang stick comes to mind... Good, if you can find or make one, If its really becoming a re-occuring problem... I doubt thats the case since you are able to start this thread...

Watch this video and tell me how much you really have to fear Great Whites. (Note: Unless you are spear fishing, surfing, or swimming on the surface.) The statistics show the landlord bites are always accidents (Typically surfers or surface swimmers), and that they never come back to eat humans after biting them, as we are not fat enough. Occasionally people bleed to death after a bite, but most survive with massive scars.

[video=youtube;OfyVbqS7W-M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfyVbqS7W-M[/video]

What area are you referring too? Swimming away quickly I heard just makes you look like a tasty snack. I heard its best to stand your ground.

You never want to swim away, you should always be facing the shark. You will end up pivoting in a circle to keep it in sight as you slowly make your way back to your boat.

---------- Post Merged at 09:09 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:05 AM ----------

I like to carry a 4' collapsable spear for lion fish ... That would be my first line of defense, offer up the fish or a jab to the nose... Problem solved. Great white? Bang stick comes to mind... Good, if you can find or make one, If its really becoming a re-occuring problem... I doubt thats the case since you are able to start this thread...

The spear is not going to do much but make the shark think twice. Bang sticks and shark darts work if you can find them. If you have to use a knife the best entry point would be through the gills as the brain is between the gills on most sharks.

Back
Top Bottom