Great White Sharks Ops in Capetown area?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drbill

The Lorax for the Kelp Forest
Scuba Legend
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
My nephew is going to be in Capetown SA next August and asked me if I would pose this question to SB members. He wants to do a day of great white shark diving, and wants to see the sharks breaching as well.

Are there operators in the Capetown area that members here would recommend to him? Post here and I'll send him the link to this thread.

TIA

Hey,
Just went on cage diving with "Unreal Diving" a few weeks ago, 2 hrs drive from cape town, in Gansbaai.
As a business, this operation is run good, I how ever would expect more, the trip had NO educational value to it, what so ever.
It was as if we are going bungee jumping, or sky diving, Not seeing up close, one of the wonders of nature, maybe the most impressive predetor in the world. One that is being feared& killed for no good reason, other than ignorance.
I think they miss a very important issue here, so, I would NOT recommend them.

Contact Mike at Pisces Divers - mike@piscesdivers.co.za
He has some good contacts, and arranges trips. Tell him exactly what you want to see, he will put you in contact with the right operator.
Pisces Divers, South Africa

Hi,
let us organise for you we did deal with company "Unreal Diving" we have had negative responses about them, so we do not use them any more we have now found an excellent operator in the Cape. they good - contact us and will give you more info with photo's taken by Donal Herlhily who lives in Ireland, we can give you his contact details or visit our web page for his contact details under Testimonials. here part of a mail posted just before your post called Mozambique trip report
Trip report - Mozambique
Just came back a week ago from 22 day trip to South Africa& Mocambique.
spent 8 days at Barra Beach (near the famous Tofo beach), here is my report to you, hope you'll enjoy& that it will be useful to those of you, planing to visit Mocambique.

Well, start from the beginning, We booked our whole trip with Lorraine, at Mozambique diving resorts Guinjata Bay and Mozambique guinjata,barra tofo fishing Resorts,dive at Guinjata Bay,Barra Lodge,Flamingo Bay,Promene Lodge,Barra Lodge,Flamingo Bay,Indingo Bay,Matembo Island,Mejumbe Island,Pemba Resrt,Ponta Malomi
Did not find any testimonials from other scuba Board users, but decided to take a chance, and was not disappointed!!!! everything was on time&great!!!
We highly recommend her!!!
Send us a Mail lorraine@guinjatabay.co.za

You want the breaching sharks?.........only one man to see........CHRIS FALLOWS - he of 'Air Jaws' fame, etc. I think the breaching mainly occurs in the early morning, so be sure to book the early trip..........great people, great reputation......I wholeheartedly recommend them!!!

great white shark photos and shark posters|shark cage diving

In fact, it was my cage dive with them that got me interested in scuba diving. :thumb:

My 2nd post has the same link. I went out on a Mako / Blue shark expedition with Chris over the weekend - what a great experience !! I will certainly do a GW trip sometime soon. Probably the most knowledgeable operator around.

I am looking to go to South Africa as well and I must say, Ii am novice about diving down there. 20 years ago I was in kenya and did some diving there as well as a safari. So, I heard Cape Town was pretty nice with great wineries, Great White shark cage diving (as they are famous for) and game reserves near by.

What I didn't know was that there was great diving around Cape Town. I figured that great Whites and other predators were too numerous around this area to safely dive. I guess I was wrong. So thanks to everyone for the good information on this forum.

As anyone recently done a Dive\Safari trip to Cape Town? I see diving but no mention of the topside "Big 5" animals. I know Kruger national park is a bit North but does anyone have any other good recomendations!

thanks,
Tom

Thanks to all for their suggestions. He heads to South Africa in a few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom