great white sighting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Heman,

Recommendation 1. Swim faster than the guy next to you. 2. If you are lucky enough to see one take a picture! Its a very rare experience.

If you are on Spectre, Ted will take of you.

Cousin (Heman)...just be sure that guy next to you isnt me ok?:shocked2: K,THX. :D

And this is a surprise?
no its not a surprise. I have heard that there is one that hangs out at Shipwreck rock, i also know we have a lot off our coast, exspecially when the elephant seals come in for breeding. But it is rare to see them from a helicopter as this one has been supposedly see. I was just letting people know what they are reporting on the news in case someone wants to try a see it, i know that the odds are against it but you won't know unless you try.

Wow,

The sighting is showing perhaps a comeback in population of the ever elusive shark... I hope he sticks around for the Peace group of divers to maybe get a glimpse of this magnificant animal, well at least from the safety of the boat... :)

Forget about the 'great' white sharks.
What about the baby white sharks - are they cute? Or are they too sharky to be cute?

Thanks John! We'll be out there for a week on our own sailboat, but unfortunately we won't be able to get in too much diving - we've gotta bring tanks, and we don't have a compressor to refill them. Maybe we'll get lucky and see a dive boat while we're out there, and we can dingy over and ask for fills. :wink:

I haven't heard of any great white sightings at Santa Cruz Is, but maybe we'll see one!

Wow,

The sighting is showing perhaps a comeback in population of the ever elusive shark... I hope he sticks around for the Peace group of divers to maybe get a glimpse of this magnificant animal, well at least from the safety of the boat... :)
Well, if you come on by the Peace when I'm there, LeeAnne, I'll put in a good word for you :)
MikeG, I hope you weren't thinking about my charter?

Hmmm, I'll be the odd ball and say that I hope they stay up north and away from my local dive spots.
No desire to see one of them.

Hmmm, I'll be the odd ball and say that I hope they stay up north and away from my local dive spots.
No desire to see one of them.

Well, I AM up north. I don't want to see one either. I want to have seen one (and be able to talk about it with all limbs, etc fully intact).

no its not a surprise. I have heard that there is one that hangs out at Shipwreck rock, i also know we have a lot off our coast, exspecially when the elephant seals come in for breeding. But it is rare to see them from a helicopter as this one has been supposedly see. I was just letting people know what they are reporting on the news in case someone wants to try a see it, i know that the odds are against it but you won't know unless you try.

Are you referring to Ship Rock off Catalina? There have been as many as three GWS sighted together between Ship Rock and Bird Rock, and a number of sightings of single ones (including some by divers).

Years ago in the 70s I was flying from Long Beach to Catalina and saw what appeared to be a GWS in the water below me. I am fairly certain the pilots of our old seaplanes and the Island Express helicopters have reported them as well. I could easily check with the owner of Island Express to verify this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom