Great White?!!??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I read an article on CNN or FoxNews about a Great White in the Gulf of Mexico off the Tampa area recently.

I take any identifications by the news media with a grain of salt, they are frequently incorrect. I don't know how many times that the LA Times has printed pictures of marine animals, especially sharks, with the wrong species named. :rolleyes:

Seems quite possible that it was a Great White...after all the author of Jaws himself saw a GW while diving in the Bahamas a few years ago

My great uncle Harry caught a smallish (by Great White standards) one north of Cape Cod in the mid 1950s.

One was also allegedly spotted off Chatham, Cape Cod in the summer of 2001, taking fish off a sport fisherman's line. There was speculation that it may have been a large shortfin mako, but the fishing boat captain said he knows a mako when he sees one.

mddolson once bubbled...
They've been spotted as far north as New York and Halifax on the east coast

Mike D
:blffish:

Folks catch them on a fairly regular (every couple years) basis in the Upper Keys. They are "cosmopolitan" to the world's oceans (meaning they're everywhere) but do seem to prefer colder water.

In the area you mention, Bulls are the most common large shark. We saw 5 on one dive not too long ago in Key Largo.

WW

My buddies and I dove the Eagle two days after Thanksgiving and saw what I think is a 6 to 8 foot Bull. Did it look like this????

I've got an old issue of Skin Diver(I think the fall of 96) where they caught a 2000lb Great White less than 2 nautical miles from Molasses Reef. I'll look around for it and post the pic if I can find it.

Back
Top Bottom