Great White?!!??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was diving the Duane a couple of days before Thanksgiving and spent most of my bottom time on the deck watching two bull sharks cruising along the bottom. Very cool, indeed. Maybe that's the kind of shark you saw on the Eagle.

When I asked the captain about the sharks, his explanation was that with the Spiegel Grove drawing so much of the diver traffic, the larger fish are returning to the Duane, Bibb, and Eagle.

All over the world. Recently a large population has been found in the Med, where previously everyone who said they'd seen 'em there was scoffed at.
They are indeed caught in the keys from time to time on a fairly regular basis, and very occasionally in the Gulf. The California population bottomed in about '91 and has rebounded rapidly as federal protection of seals and sea lions has caused a population boom in food animals for the sharks.
Rick

About 8-10 yrs ago someone caught a 1800+ lb white shark off of Jacksonville FL's Mayport Naval Base, quite a far ways offshore if I remember right. Tigers are being spotted here and there, too.

I once scared pants of myself while snorkelling off a reef in Egypt.

I turned around and spotted what appeared to me to be a reasonable-sized shark coming in at me from the blue of the ocean. Three lessons I learned from this:

1) Perspective is funny whilst looking out into the blue.
2) Your mind can play tricks on you when you've been out in the sun too long.

and most importantly...
3) A foot-long pufferfish isn't nearly as scary when it turns sideways.

Dave:)

I have always been fascinated with sharks since growing up, yes because of JAWS. They just fascinate me to no end.

I have yet to encounter one in the water, mostly because I dive freshwater mostly and my one trip outside this has been to Bonaire, but going to the Bahamas is on my list to do also.

I think I will be fine with my first encounter...a tad excited...ok, a lot excited, but it should be an experience.

I just think its an awesome feeling to be in their territory under their rules.

jepuskar once bubbled...
I just think its an awesome feeling to be in their territory under their rules.

you are definatly not the dominant speices anymore, and sometimes not even at the top of the food chain anymore either. But it is fun

I would have to guess that a shark of that size in the Keys would be a bull shark. Certainly not a great white as they are cold water sharks. I have indeed heard of large bulls off the coast of Florida.

:sharks:

It's rare, but Great Whites have been sited in and around Boca Grande pass in SW florida (especially during tarpon season)

I think there is a lot more Great Whites off the Keys then people realize. I have hooked up at least 50 to 70 very large fish with 50 and 80 pound tackle in 120 to 300 feet of water off the Keys that I could not turn or gain any line on. They steadily moved to deeper water. I have brought 500+ pound sharks with 50 to 80 pound tackle, so God only know what was on the other end of my line.

Glenn

GreatWhiteHang11597small.jpg

Back
Top Bottom