Green starfish?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think that if you stay away from the "crown", you're ok... it's the crown of thorns that can create issues, I think.

I suppose it could be one of those decoy-type defenses, but until I hear of someone going up and rubbing their bare hand through the "thorns", I for one am not going to be touching them! :)

The real Crown of thorns, not the slimy green one Im talking about....I just don't see the hazzard.

I thnk this is too big but my PS is down, see if it works.

Nope, didn't work. I'll get a new PS loaded tomorrow and repost.

Wildcard would be well advised not to touch the spines/"thorns" on the crown of thorns. A guy I know had his finger pretty much split open and turn into a pus covered mess last year after getting nailed by one. He was lucky enough to already have no feeling in his fingers due to a serious injury years back. Others I've met haven't been so lucky after run-ins with the thorns, they felt it.

It's a lot like a bad spider bite. The injury can erode away after a few days. I've only met 4 people who've been nailed, two are friends, they've all said they experienced pain or lack of feeling for months (except the one who already had no feeling in that finger) and had a noticeable injury site for a couple years. This is from the local crown of thorns here in Kona.

KrisB:
I think that if you stay away from the "crown", you're ok... it's the crown of thorns that can create issues, I think.

I suppose it could be one of those decoy-type defenses, but until I hear of someone going up and rubbing their bare hand through the "thorns", I for one am not going to be touching them! :)

After searching more, I can still find nothing more than "reported" pain or discomfort. I took a pic of one yesterday. I'll get it up here later. Gotta go down now.

wildcard: what are you looking for? If "reported pain" isn't good enough, I think the only way you're going to be happy is to go out and try it! :)

Here is the pic for ya. It just dosen't look like a crown of thornes to me but can't find any source to find out for sure.

Wildcard...your bud Wes here DON'T mess with these guys you WILL be sorry!
Ive seen some one first hand take out his dive knife gesturing that he was going to kill one. (he had seen on TV. another kind of Crown of thorns that the Australians have been trying to get rid of.) I shook my head no , no leave it be .
the next thing I know is this dude is in my face screaming in shaking his hand with Blood (green at depth) coming out of holes in his hand.
he thought it was the poison. lol
threw hand signals he told me what hand happen when I turned my head away.
any way that dude went threw major pain and his hand was purple by time we got back to the dock.

my two fins worth
your friend

Wes

Wildcard:
Here is the pic for ya. It just dosen't look like a crown of thornes to me but can't find any source to find out for sure.

That's definitely a Crown of Thorns. There's not enough light on it to see
the reddish hue. See Hoover's Hawaii's Sea Creatures , page 293

Back
Top Bottom