Greetings and thank you for the wealth of knowledge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

midlifewoman

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have been reading to learn more about diving, and I have some specific concerns as a perimenopausal woman (due to changes I have noticed in my physiology going through mid life transition) so encouragement and support/advice from medical experts and women divers who have gone through peri/menopause would be so appreciated!

I am a recreational diver, introduced to diving by my boyfriend during the pandemic (this matters because I had limited options for dive shops and looking back would have chosen SSI rather than PADI if I could).

I have just over 50 dives, mostly in Cozumel. We have taken a few trips there and do two tank dives every day for a week or so, with an occasional night dive.

I feel good about my progress as a diver, but have not had time to research and practice as much as I'd like, and hope to get some more training in this year. Life has let up for me a bit. I'll do some refreshers in a local pool, and have specific skills I want to practice. I want to take responsibility for my diving experience, but have had struggles with finding the right apparel, (I am not cold tolerant at all, a problem even worse with menopausal body temp regulation issues), and I have so many questions that I will be searching for answers to on this forum and elsewhere).

I still get a bit nervous in situations I'm not familiar/experienced with, and I do find aspects of diving very intimidating so I am trying to educate, train, and practice skills.

I haven't found a thread specific to concerns of women divers who are in midlife hormonal transition, except for a reference to IPO/IPE. So I'll do a bit more searching to see if my questions are answered already and if not I will post them.

My most recent dive trip was in Cozumel, and I loved it except for issues with being cold and some fear related to currents on the wall dives (I find the walls beautiful but intimidating as I feel a bit overwhelmed by the visual and being unfamiliar with how the current can change, safety related to that).

I did ask questions of my DM but will be looking for more education.

Thanks again,
MLW

There are a number of women in The Pub discussing this very subject, @annasea , @Mrs. B . They don’t come topside much.

Many thanks, I am figuring out navigating the forum on my phone.... also found the women's community. I appreciate it!

Hi, 👋🏻

get this hooded vest

Henderson Hyperstretch

Look on eBay

My body temp used to drop so much my heart rate would get into the 40s

Eat calories before you dive

IMG_7432.jpeg

Hi, thank you MrsB! I just tried to send you a message asking for help navigating to the women's discussions, I am having trouble. But couldn't message due to my lack of posts. Can you share some links? I am excited to share experiences.

Hi, thank you MrsB! I just tried to send you a message asking for help navigating to the women's discussions, I am having trouble. But couldn't message due to my lack of posts. Can you share some links? I am excited to share experiences.

What would you like links for?

IMG_7435.jpeg
IMG_7436.jpeg

Welcome to the ‘board. I was going to say come see us at Beaver lake until I saw the cold tolerance comment. Although in the summer it’s quite warm in shallow water. I wear a hood or hooded vest until at least mid 80’s temp wise, regardless of salt or fresh.

Dive count and continuing to push your comfort zone (safely) will likely help your nervousness. I would say for many of us there continues to be some extra excitement or maybe even slight butterflies when splashing. It’s normal and probably even healthy.

Most ocean diving will feel easier after a lot of lake diving, just saying. . .

PS: LOL for the apology - thanks, but not needed here.

Sorry, for the discussions about women specific issues?

See if that works for you :wink:

They have threads in a forum called women’s perspectives I think.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom