greetings from DC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rock and roll. thanks for the replies, folks. I'm sure I'll score wherever I go.

baltimoron, Pennekamp is where I went -- the usual spots, City of Washington, and another small wreck, the Statue, Minnow Cave and a couple of other nearby spots. some of the folks on board complained that it was either too crowded or too damaged. but for a new guy, it was awesome. Minnow Cave totally blew my mind, especially when I swam under an overhang, through a cloud of minnows and came face to face with a huge jewfish. snorkeling down at Big Pine was also incredible. was sort of like diving in a shopping mall, there were so many divers out, but so were a lot of fish. It's a trip when you see a five-foot tarpon in the water for the first time or a reef shark comes whizzing past.

thanks again, bros.

i am glad you had a lot of fun, i will probably be able to compare when i go in 10 days... i cant wait. my dad grew up in miami (before moving to israel to start the kibbutz i grew up on. and left :-( .) so my grandparents are there. my grandfather is an avvid scuba diver at 74, he has logged probably more than 1000 dives. so he is head over heels about me getting certified.

hey balt,

you'll have a blast. look forward to hearing about it when you get back. I'm planning to head to Utila next week, if the weather don't wreck it. we'll exchange notes.

miami is a cool city. my father was born there as well, but the family soon moved back home to Ga.

was in Israel for a week last Sept. spent nearly all of my time in Jerusalem. what a magnificient place. once I was there, I realized, wow, no wonder people have been fighting over this place for centuries.

It was a truly amazing experience, but really tense and sad at times. A suicide bomber blew up a cafe while I was there. I'd just strolled past it the night before. It made me realize just how random things really are.

I later visited the Dead Sea and Petra in Jordan. The Dead Sea was really relaxing. Petra was astounding.

cheers.

WOW! we have a lot in common!

kol ha'cavod (it is great) that you went to israel.... a lot of americans are afraid to make the journey, but i really feel Israel is the best place in the world (ok ok maybe ONE of the best places in the world.) I came from Eilat, alll the way down south. The Kibbutz I am from is called Kibbutz Yahel, and its probably 15 miles outside Eilat in the desert. Its main industries are selling cattle and milk to Yodvata (a kibbutz company similar to ben and Jerry's here.... i think Yodvata is better but thats just me :-D ), and making experimental fruits like Dinosaur eggs, palmelos, and monsteras. my dad ran a clinic there, one of the only emergency rooms in Eilat. Five years ago he took a job at Johns Hopkins, and next thing I was struggling to learn english in Baltimore! Eilat really is a great place to grow up (much better than baltimore, the armpit of the Atlantic!)
Eilat is MUCH safer than any of the areas up north (actually, probably safer than baltimore!) we havent seen any violence (of that nature) in about twenty years!

Jerusalem is one of the best cities in the world. its just steeped in history, and its soo colourful! i am glad you liked it.

the dead sea is.... surreal. make sure you go to the bathroom BEFORE you go in though, that can make something special REALLY hurt. dont stick your tongue in either, that hurts too!

Petra is AWESOME. I saw it later in Indiana Jones, and i felt so cheated!!! how could they use it like that?!?!

next time you come to israel (be'zrat hashem, with the help of god) you should come down to Eilat and also visit Taba and Sharm el-Sheikh in Egypt! I grew up snorkeling and such down there; the thought never occured to me to get certified until now (ahh stupid!). i am sure when i go back to visit in december i will take a trip down there too.

Are you Jewish? i hear there are a lot of Jews in DC, around Rockville and Virginia....

wow! i am really excited that somebody here has visited my home!!!

Heya and welcome to the Board....

hey balt,

I'm not Jewish myself, but the woman I went to see in Jersualem is. Her parents emigrated from the States a while back, and she went to visit. I met her there for a few days. We later broke up back in the States, but I had a good time overall in Israel and will no doubt return one day, and will hopefully see more of the country. I've heard from friends that the area around Galilee is really nice.

Since 9-11, so many Americans have so gotten afraid to travel anywhere, but the fact is that we're all more likely to die from car accidents instead of car bombs, no matter where we go.

I've traveled a fair amount since 9-11-- the Middle East, Central Asia, Russia, Europe, and have never really encountered a problem I couldn't avoid or just talk my way out of. And my experience has been that you often encounter the best hospitality in the most unexpected of places.

Growing up on a kibbutz sounds like it was quite an experience. I really can't imagine what it would be like, except from what I've seen in movies and on television. Eilat sounds like it must have been pretty nice. I've had some friends who've been there and had a great time. Said the diving in the Red Sea was some of the best they've ever done.

I've heard Baltimore can be pretty rough. But again, most of what I know is from the TV shows like Homicide and that new one on HBO called The Wire. Not accurate versions of reality, I'm sure. Personally, I've only been to the Aquarium and the Harbor, though I may be going to a Orioles game next month, if some friends from home visit.

If you haven't visited DC before, you really should. It's a nice city, and the free tourist stuff like the museums and monuments are worth the trip alone.

hope you have fun down in the Keys. Look forward to hearing about your trip. I'm booked for Utila next week, and hope to do some diving off NC in the near future. maybe we can do some diving sometime.

cheers.

depthcharge

baltimoron:
WOW! we have a lot in common!

kol ha'cavod (it is great) that you went to israel.... a lot of americans are afraid to make the journey, but i really feel Israel is the best place in the world (ok ok maybe ONE of the best places in the world.) I came from Eilat, alll the way down south. The Kibbutz I am from is called Kibbutz Yahel, and its probably 15 miles outside Eilat in the desert. Its main industries are selling cattle and milk to Yodvata (a kibbutz company similar to ben and Jerry's here.... i think Yodvata is better but thats just me :-D ), and making experimental fruits like Dinosaur eggs, palmelos, and monsteras. my dad ran a clinic there, one of the only emergency rooms in Eilat. Five years ago he took a job at Johns Hopkins, and next thing I was struggling to learn english in Baltimore! Eilat really is a great place to grow up (much better than baltimore, the armpit of the Atlantic!)
Eilat is MUCH safer than any of the areas up north (actually, probably safer than baltimore!) we havent seen any violence (of that nature) in about twenty years!

Jerusalem is one of the best cities in the world. its just steeped in history, and its soo colourful! i am glad you liked it.

the dead sea is.... surreal. make sure you go to the bathroom BEFORE you go in though, that can make something special REALLY hurt. dont stick your tongue in either, that hurts too!

Petra is AWESOME. I saw it later in Indiana Jones, and i felt so cheated!!! how could they use it like that?!?!

next time you come to israel (be'zrat hashem, with the help of god) you should come down to Eilat and also visit Taba and Sharm el-Sheikh in Egypt! I grew up snorkeling and such down there; the thought never occured to me to get certified until now (ahh stupid!). i am sure when i go back to visit in december i will take a trip down there too.

Are you Jewish? i hear there are a lot of Jews in DC, around Rockville and Virginia....

wow! i am really excited that somebody here has visited my home!!!

depthcharge65:
greetings all from DC. tried scuba once at 14, but it never took. was recently in Key Largo and thought I'd give it another shot. It totally blew my mind, and now I'm totally hooked. already planning the next adventure. anyone care to recommend Bahamas or Honduras this time of year?

thanks.

Greetings from Matt,

Welcome to Scuba Board! Welcome back to the diving world. I hope you enjoy being a member here, there are many nice and helpful scuba divers. It's a good place to meet other scuba divers. Take care from Matt. :eyebrow:

Welcome to ScubaBoard!! Key Largo - that was my first dive trip. Sure, I'll recomend the Bahamas anytime of the year! :wink: lolz hope to see you around the board!!

<33 Jess

depthcharge65:
hey balt,

I'm not Jewish myself, but the woman I went to see in Jersualem is. Her parents emigrated from the States a while back, and she went to visit. I met her there for a few days. We later broke up back in the States, but I had a good time overall in Israel and will no doubt return one day, and will hopefully see more of the country. I've heard from friends that the area around Galilee is really nice.

Since 9-11, so many Americans have so gotten afraid to travel anywhere, but the fact is that we're all more likely to die from car accidents instead of car bombs, no matter where we go.

I've traveled a fair amount since 9-11-- the Middle East, Central Asia, Russia, Europe, and have never really encountered a problem I couldn't avoid or just talk my way out of. And my experience has been that you often encounter the best hospitality in the most unexpected of places.

Growing up on a kibbutz sounds like it was quite an experience. I really can't imagine what it would be like, except from what I've seen in movies and on television. Eilat sounds like it must have been pretty nice. I've had some friends who've been there and had a great time. Said the diving in the Red Sea was some of the best they've ever done.

I've heard Baltimore can be pretty rough. But again, most of what I know is from the TV shows like Homicide and that new one on HBO called The Wire. Not accurate versions of reality, I'm sure. Personally, I've only been to the Aquarium and the Harbor, though I may be going to a Orioles game next month, if some friends from home visit.

If you haven't visited DC before, you really should. It's a nice city, and the free tourist stuff like the museums and monuments are worth the trip alone.

hope you have fun down in the Keys. Look forward to hearing about your trip. I'm booked for Utila next week, and hope to do some diving off NC in the near future. maybe we can do some diving sometime.

cheers.

depthcharge

well, growing up ona kibbutz was great!! it was like one HUGE family. i had my parents- they were my parents, and then all of the other people on the kibbutz were like my "minor parents" and everybody had a hand in raising me. also the other kids on the Kibbutz were like brothers and sisters, and it was especially great for me beacuse i had none. i like all my baltimore friends, and i do have a lot, but i would go back in a second.

Back
Top Bottom