Greetings from South Eleuthera, Bahamas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

acurry

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Had a couple divers with us a few weeks back and they suggested getting on ScubaBoard, so here i am. Picked up a scuba diving and deep sea fishing operation here 2 1/2 years ago, needed something to do in retirement. The shop is Ocean Fox Cotton Bay, located out of Davis Harbour Marina, South Eleuthera (Lat 24.44. 32.97N, Long 76.13. 48.33W, since you have to use those to register if you don't live in "da states").
Since i am retired, we don't take out more than 8 divers at a time (too much work, actually too many divers spoil the dive), but we have a couple of boats so we can double up. Lots of wall dives, shark site, open ocean drift dives, boiling holes, and we do exploration dives mostly on the wall and on the bridge drift dive area; still miles of wall to explore.
Eleuthera is not "developed", lots of beautiful beaches with no one on them, friendly folks here, no crime, great food but the restaurants are not fancy, very laid back place, no big resorts or as they say "Eleuthera its not for Everyone".
Anyone looking to set up a small group trip or just a couple who want to go to beautiful place with some great diving, contact me and i will help with whatever you need.
Just remember from a safety standpoint, "too long a surface interval can be bad for your health".

Welcome to the board.. Where exactly is South Eleuthera? Is it a island or a location on a island in the Bahamas. Sounds like a great place to go diving.

Eleuthera is in the Bahamas, it is the out island due east of Nassau about 60 miles. Eleuthera is about 110 miles north south with 3 airports; North Eleuthera, Governor's Harbour and Rock Sound. The dive shop is located on the south end of eleuthera on an extension of the Atlantic Ocean known as Exeuma Sound. The wall on the south in is anywhere from 300' to 1/4 mile from the shore line. Most of the wall is relatively verticle, whith depths a half a mile from the wall 2-3,000'. there is very little current along the wall, so for ocean drift diving we go to the SE tip of eleuthera and out onto the "bridge", which is a ridge connecting Little San Salvador Island about 12 miles away, where the depths are 30-60' and off the bridge the depths are 2-3,000' with visibility rarely less than 150-200';

Al, welcome to the board. I really enjoyed our dives last year and can't wait to get back to Eleuthera.

Hello Al, Good to hear from you. After your last blog I was dreaming of exploring the bridge again!

Eleuthera is not for everyone but it has the most beautiful beaches I've seen. I did dive #8 & 9 with Al and it inspired me to continue....just passed 100 (hard to do in the cold north)

I'll be back!

whats the weather doing in February?

any wrecks?

water temp is likely to be 72-74 degrees; unless there is a cold front headed this way, winds are light to 15 mph out of the North to Northeast; we are located on the south end of eleuthera, where the shore line runs SE-NW, so we are protected from those winds being on a lee shore. We typically use a long sleve shorty 3mm wet suit with a hood. Normally do not get much rain in February, so skies are clear. We do not have any wrecks, at least we have not discovered any to date.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom