Greetings From Tropical Diego Garcia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I doubt that non-military will ever be allowed there.

I would bet that the Navy (and Air Force) has alot of very nasty weapons there that would make the bombs used in 1945 look mild by comparison - if you get my drift!

If I were the base commander I would not allow diving even though I am a diver.

I bought a tank off of ebay and filled it at the fire station. Ask the big honcho navy guy if he allows diving as they did in the past. There was a dive plan we had to fill out at the marina and picked it up when we were done. good luck.

Although I have not been there, I have friends who occasionally go there TDY. As I understand it, you are (or at least were) allowed to snorkel - the poor man's scuba. When I was young and poor, I probably did 20 snorkel excursions for each dive, and got my fix that way. Enjoy.

Just to clear up any confusion on the diving here on Diego Garcia. I've been on island since 2004 and have been diving since the Brits opened it back up in Feb of 2009. I have dove inside the lagoon and on the oceanside, whic is fantastic. I'm a civilian and an instructor so I was thirlled when it first opened up. Things changed when the old Brit rep left and the new one came in though. The Navy command created a regional instruction which was fine but only applies to some of the people here, not all. the Brits dive when ever they feel like it, their island so I guess they get that priviledge. I've gotten in good with most of them and having certified more than a few of them get invited on their dives. That includes plenty of boat dives, night dives, and deep dives. Not to mention the dives that several of us do with the lead researcher when he comes out.

The main problem is the lack of understanding between the different elements on the island and the fact that there is a diving program isn't broadcast or even spoke of unless you are seen getting in or out of the water. There is a big liability fear on the island even with a recompression chamber available, of course no one talks about the operational chamber. It is unfortunate that it is the way it is and there are folks trying to change it for the better and get people off their collective rear-ends and either support a program or keep their noses out of it.

Either way the diving here has been very good given the conditions and lack of press.

Tanks potentially could be filled onboard the vessels in the lagoon using their air compressors. Heard a rumor of people with tanks out by cannon point the other day. Still trying to get info on diving possibilities.

The Fire Station will fill them for you. To get more info about diving, go to the Marina and ask, thats where I turned in my dive plan before each dive. The head navy person is who authorizes the diving. Good Luck

Any change to the current rule on diving in Diego? Im looking at a long TDY there possibly by the end of the year. Would love to get some diving in there. Been to Diego twice already on the way from Afghan but didnt have enough time to dive though. I can only imagine how beautiful it is. ANy info on the current rule (yay or nay) and how to get air would be greatly appreciated!!

Just to clear some things up again about diving here on Diego Garcia (DG). Yes, diving is allowed. There are rules in place and a dive roster of people who are authorized to dive. This dive roster is generated by the base XO, to get placed on it is simply a matter of getting in contact with him and having a sit-down to go over the rules and standards that we have here. The Marina has no control of the operation and if they are interacting with divers like accepting dive plans, then they could be inreal trouble as they are not where the dive plans are supposed to be going. There is a regional instruction that covers the whos-whats-whens and whys of diving here. While I don't agree with everything that is in the instruction, dive limits and such, it is a risk management device. If you'd like to know more please contact me and I'll be happy to provide all the legitimate information concerning diving on DG.

Then everything is the same as when I left in 08, fill the tanks up at the firestation, dive in the designated spots. Did they get the chamber done yet?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom