Greetings to all from Long island, NY!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CaptSaaz:
Hi Mike and welcome to ScubaBoard! I'm on Long Island also and just got my OW in August and working on my AOW. Where on the island are you and what shop are you taking your classes? The water is starting to get cold here but it's still refreshing.
Hi,
I am in Merrick, NY and I am taking my classes at Long Island Scuba in Lindenhurst. The water is definitely getting cold and the instructor told us that we need a wet suit with a hood and gloves, so I hope I don't freeze my buns that much! Where do you go diving in this area?, I would like to become member of a diving group. Good luck with your AOW course, where did you do your OW dives? My instructor told us that our dives will be by the Atlantic Bridge area, to bring a diving knife because sometimes fishermen leave their lines, isn't that a little scary? How do the instructors conduct the OW dives? We are five in the class with two instructors.

msanta:
Hi,
I am in Merrick, NY and I am taking my classes at Long Island Scuba in Lindenhurst. The water is definitely getting cold and the instructor told us that we need a wet suit with a hood and gloves, so I hope I don't freeze my buns that much! Where do you go diving in this area?, I would like to become member of a diving group. Good luck with your AOW course, where did you do your OW dives? My instructor told us that our dives will be by the Atlantic Bridge area, to bring a diving knife because sometimes fishermen leave their lines, isn't that a little scary? How do the instructors conduct the OW dives? We are five in the class with two instructors.

I'm further east in Islip but I go to LI Scuba also. My OW instructor was Adam and Jeff for my AOW. Definitely a wet suit, hood, gloves and booties. It's a chilly to dive here in the summer, now that it is fall and winter fast approaching, the water temps are dropping. Don't sweat the fishing line problem. If you get entangled, just stop, get your buddies attention and have them cut you out. You're not gonna run out of air or anything. just more of an annoyance. I carry both a dive knife and a pair of surgical scissors.

For the OW dives, it's going to be easy. Just doing what you did in class but not in a pool, in the bay. Remove and replace mask, clear mask, regulator recovery, buddy breathe, etc.

There are lots of shore dives you can do. Best bet is to pick up the book, Long Island Shore Diving by Capt Daniel Berg. Also there are lots of boat diving onto wrecks. A few ships have been scuttled right off shore of Fire Island to provide havens for fish and lobster. also the guys at LI Scuba are part of The Dive Club. They meet every first Tue of the month in Bayshore. Ask Jeff or Adam about it. I can't make the Nov meeting but I should be at the Dec one.

Take care and good luck on your check out dives!

Back
Top Bottom