Group seeking to build Marine Sanctuary under Navarre Pier

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The best thing that they could do is knock down the old pier and leave all the rubble pilled up to allow things to create a habitat on it. The county could designate it as a marine sanctuary and the divers, snorklers, the people involved in this committee, and the local marine life would all benefit from it.

^ What he said.

I must be diving the wrong spot. I'm missing the nurse sharks, angelfish, dolphins, manta rays, whale sharks, blue ring octopuses, and sea dragons everyone else is seeing. I'm mostly seeing my @$$ get chewed up by jellyfish...

Where are the toppled spans? I've not discovered those yet.

The toppled spans are about 30-40 yards west of the missing section, there are 2 and sometimes 3 sections that are still slightly visible, the reveal on them has (like Pensacolas reef) demisnished rapidly in the past 6 months to about 6 inches left that's not buried. The only other reveal which is not becoming buried is the PVC tubing at the end of the pier that is about 20 feet long or so.

I have to agree with Hetland. I usually don't see much either except Jellies and small reef stuff on the pilings. This site needs to have some horizontal relief to hold more fish. I have been fortunate to see quite a few rays (Some real big ones.... 4+ feet), but only on a couple of occasions. Anytime someone wants to dive it let me know, I'm 10 minutes away and always game for this dive, with or without fish!

SeaYoda got some great shots of turtles last year, over there. I've seen big rays, big grouper, flouder, mackeral, all sorts of crab, lots of octopii, ect on site. It holds alot of life. Also west of the current pier pilings are the wooden(submerged) remenants of the previous pier.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom