Guam B-52?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ERIC.K

Contributor
Reaction score
I heard about a diveable B-52 bomber that had to ditch just short of a runway in or around Guam, anyone been there?

I didn't hear anything about it when i was there. There are a couple of ship wreaks and i think a small plane, bit nothing like a B-52

There is a discovered/located B-52 off the island water of Peleliu that went down with a crew of 8....thats all I know of it.

Haven't heard of it here on Guam... must be somewhere else because I would be all over it!

If it is here it is a well-kept secret, or possibly not divable (rough/silty water near the AFB)

I'm a big aviation fan, I've never dove on a military aircraft before. I've always wanted to dive a post- vietnam fighter aircraft. I've heard of F-14 crashes but deep deep water though. Problem with diving modern era aircraft is many of them still have classified equipment on them. The B-52 I heard about was diveable only by military personnel and their families and was only dove on by the base dive shop. The Peleliu B-52 posted about above,not sure if it is the one I heard about The bomber I heard about had engine trouble, crew ejected and the plane nearly landed level a few hundred yards from the runway..... In about 100 feet of water. Maybe it was near Guantanumo, Cuba? Maybe it was another scuba dream?

Dove japanese Sea planes on Guam, no B-52's.
Been diving here for about a year and a half.

VW

Divable B-52? Don't know about that, but there is a SeaPlane Near Gab Gab beach, and the Corsair you can check out if you feel like hiking in the jungle by the old air strip (Look of for those tree snakes!)

Has anybody ever seen the super secret u/w cave that leads up to an old WWII Japanese observation post?

There was a B52 that went off the end of runway around 1968. It apparently had engine failure after the point of no return (runway ends at a cliff over looking the ocean). I was an air force brat at the time, and I remember the sky being lit up with flares as they looked for survivors. I don't know if this is the one being referred to or not. That was before my diving days, and I heard that the water gets really deep (like thousands of feet deep) there just outside the reef.

One of these years I want to go back and see Guam & how it's changed, and of course to do the diving I never got a chance to do when I was there.

BSea:
There was a B52 that went off the end of runway around 1968. It apparently had engine failure after the point of no return (runway ends at a cliff over looking the ocean). I was an air force brat at the time, and I remember the sky being lit up with flares as they looked for survivors. I don't know if this is the one being referred to or not. That was before my diving days, and I heard that the water gets really deep (like thousands of feet deep) there just outside the reef.

One of these years I want to go back and see Guam & how it's changed, and of course to do the diving I never got a chance to do when I was there.

Guam has changed alot since then lol
Lots of great beach dives too, especially at the Naval Base.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom