Guanaja

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WaterWolf

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Going to Guanaja on January 2nd and staying at the Villa at Dunbar Rock. Has anyone out there stayed there before? How is the water & currents this time of year? It's my first trip to the Bay Islands and I'm just wondering what to expect. I've been on dive trips to the Florida Keys, Bahamas, Cozumel, Bonaire, Curacao, Jamaica, Cancun, and Saba. How does it compare? I love to take lots of pictures. Can I expect to see any species that are not common in other parts of the Carribean. Thanks in advance for any info.

WW

Haven't stayed there in a few years but it was nice when we did. Should be ok for diving that time of the year unless they have had lots of rainfail. I would suspect you will have the dive boat to your self or at least your group. I would recommend Jims silver load (good area for eagle rays), Black Rock (nice sand/lava/coral shoots) and for deep dives you may ask them to take you to Jado Trader (it's a man made wreck dive). There are lots of really nice dives but the other dive that comes to mind is Pinacle really cool walls. The area around Guanaja offers a great selection of places to go night diving so you should ask the dive master for the week. Most likely Dennis or I understand they have a new guy. IF you can, try to get one of the rooms on the top, way better breeze and it offers some great early morning and evening photo ops. Last time I was staying there we got some shots of a water spout. If you haven't found a dive map of the area I'll see if I can PDF mine and forward it to you.
Make bubbles and have fun. Oh one other thing if you get off of the rock make sure you carry some type of bug repelling substance as the little no-see-um's are relentless. We've been using cactus juice (part suntan and bug repellent) it's a natural product sold out of Texas.

Regards
Chris Radicke AKA Wally Lamma

You should enjoy Guanaja. Have not been there since 1999 - wow a long time - but was great diving. Even after Mitch in 1998. Jado Trader is great - a lot like Hilma Hooker on Bonaire. The Bay Islands offer more in the way of cuts and swim throughs than Bonaire or Bahamas from my experience. It beats Cancun, Bahamas and Coz hands down. And the island is little traveled by divers, unfortunately, since the devastation of Hurricane Mitch. It seems it is just beginning to return to the diver's radar.

Take note of sharks, lobsters, large crab and eels.

Water should be at least 80 and viz at least that. But as you are seeing now hurricanes (Ida currently) are an issue this time of year and rainy season is starting. Take plenty of DEET because the mosquitos and sand flies are usually bad. Also be aware of Malaria, Dengue and all water borne diseases. Water is not safe like Bonaire and Curacao nor is food washed in unprepared water.

Great sea food on Guanaja. Known for shrimp, lobster and conch - all at reasonable cost and totally fresh. Fishing is the mainstay (only basis) of the economy of Guanaja.

Enjoy.

Thanks for all the great info. It seems that Guanaja is really off the beaten path which is great. Wally, if you have a dive map, please do send it. I'll send you a message with my email address.

I am considering Dunbar for late Feb/early Mar. How are you getting there? I have discussed travel plans with US Dive Travel Inc. Is that who you booked through?

We booked our flight directly through Delta, and we booked the villa through Darrel and Marla Rea at Crystal Beach Resorts in Texas. We are traveling with friends and they took care of the last leg of our trip (from Roatan to Guanaja) by boat.

Thank you for the reply. Can you possibly find out who your friends booked the boat trip thru and how much it costs? I would be very interested in hearing about how your trip goes.

Thank you for the reply. Can you possibly find out who your friends booked the boat trip thru and how much it costs? I would be very interested in hearing about how your trip goes.

Private message sent.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom