Roatan & Guanaja Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I always stay at Dunbar Rock. They are amazing.
Hey @Ukmc , I'm thinking about a dive trip to Guanaja in winter/spring 2023 (February/March). Dunbar Rock certainly looks interesting (so does their other property, which I'm also considering). Other than their website and just a couple brief mentions here, I've not seen/heard much about Dunbar Rock. No trip reports nor any (recent) posts by people who've been there.

Sounds like you give the place a big thumbs up. Have you been there anytime recently? Pointers to more/better first-hand info on the place? Thanks for anything you can share!

I am not much of a trip report kind of guy. However, I enjoy Guanaja very much, not in a small part because of Dunbar.

Dunbar Rock was a great trip. Nice and well run place, good food, and many points for uniquness. We were there with a group, next trip to area will hopefully do Clarks Cay. AFAIK same owner.

We preferred what we saw of the diving on the south side, but mostly dove north because of wind conditions.

I’m not sure staying on the main island really helps with exploring, just gets you more bugs. Presumably why many more people live on Bonnaca Cay rather than “the mainland.” It’s a water world, very litte for roads anywhere.

Dunbar Rock was a great trip. Nice and well run place, good food, and many points for uniquness. We were there with a group, next trip to area will hopefully do Clarks Cay. AFAIK same owner.

We preferred what we saw of the diving on the south side, but mostly dove north because of wind conditions.

I’m not sure staying on the main island really helps with exploring, just gets you more bugs. Presumably why many more people live on Bonnaca Cay rather than “the mainland.” It’s a water world, very litte for roads anywhere.
Which sites in the south did you like? North is leeward so it makes sense that you mostly dove north.
how did you get to Guanaja, an airplane or the new ferry?

Dunno which sites without finding an old dive log but it was only a couple. Got the impression they normally might have had chances to dive south more but the wind was not normal when we were there. Like often difficult to stay on your feet.
We flew there.

We got a chance to stay at Dunbar.

It is as it looks:
  • Total isolation.
  • Nice rooms.
  • Great staff.
What you cannot see from ads and maps:
  • Many, many stairs. We ended up in the upper most room with the best views but a ton of stairs. I carry a full size rig and require 4 dives a day. You do feel the stairs.
  • Poor shore-diving. Being used to CocoView the shore diving was a major let down. Shallow and Surgey.
  • Algae. Everywhere in the south/east area. Everything was brown/green and lots of green water. No where near the walls around Coco. The North/West dives were much better. Some clean reefs and better fish life.
We will not return to Guanaja. Same water as Roatan, same critters, poorer quality.

Hi everyone!

Husband and I are looking to do a week in Roatan and a week in Guanaja. We've been to Cocoview so we know what they are about, and are not opposed to returning there, but we're investigating the possibility staying at another resort to have better access to explore the island and to the West End. Does anyone have input on Turqoise Bay and Anthony's Key as compared to Cocoview? Our #1 priority is the diving.....prefer to stay at an all-inclusive so we don't have to worry about making meals, etc. Most posts seem to point out that the reefs/fish life are not as good near the West End, but unsure if this is the same consensus on North side where Turqoise Bay and Anthony's Key are located vs. South side of the island where Cocoview is located.

For Guanaja, there is very little info on ScubaBoard in general, and I am hesitant on believing TripAdvisor, etc. reviews. I see G&G's Clearwater resort, End of the World resort and Hotel Guanaja as resort options. We'd prefer to stay on the main island to explore therefore not really considering Clark's Cay or the Rock. Have any of you stayed at Hotel Guanaja?? I've seen reviews for the other two resorts mentioned, but not for Hotel Guanaja except from one person that did their OW there. Again, in reading reviews, mixed on which side of the island is "better" for dive conditions, fish diversity, dive site profiles (walls, mounds, etc.).

We've been to Utila so not interested in returning there at this time (too bad Utopia Village is no longer open). We've traveled pretty extensively for diving and are seasoned divers, so we don't necessarily need "lake like" conditions as we live/dive year long in West Palm Beach, FL.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
-Kristin
Hi, from Guanaja island, Clearwater paradise hotel. I’m a new DiveMaster here and I’m loving the Amazing Dives here Nurse sharks and lion fish hunting. Check out our website 🤿🦈 George can answer any questions you might have about pick ups and connections.

Gassed, when was your visit to Dunbar?

But...no bugs on The Rock, right? It's a minor point, but you'll get bitten on Roatan, no?
I agree. I have been there many times and do not even bring OFF spray anymore. I have never been bitem.
It is a bummer about conditions, I was there twice last year and my experiences were different. Soft coral was lush and abundance of colorful smaller and juvenile fish. Topography of several dives was breathtaking. Anyhow, let us know how your trip goes. I think I will miss you on the rock by a week.

Hi, from Guanaja island, Clearwater paradise hotel. I’m a new DiveMaster here and I’m loving the Amazing Dives here Nurse sharks and lion fish hunting. Check out our website 🤿🦈 George can answer any questions you might have about pick ups and connections.
Welcome to SB!
please let us know more about how you like DM’ing in Guanaja. What are your favorite Dive sites? What are your favorite spots to hang out above the water?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom