GUE/DIR and N2 off-gassing/ascent rate?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jplacson

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Ok, just want to get something straight...

A GUE friend of mine said that if you ascend too slow, you actually start loading N2 instead of gassing off.

I just want to know what is the recommended ascent rate of GUE... cuz I try to stay slower than 1 bar on my Suunto (which I've noticed, even at it's fastest is slower than Uwatec's SLOWEST ascent rate)

What's GUE's stand on Suunto's claimed "cotinuous decompression" theory?

I belive the recoumended accent rate is 30 fpm. If your accending too slow on a deeeeeeeep dive, yes you can still be ongassing. Being that the privious accepted rate of 60 fpm is now being rejected in favor of the slower rate it sounds like Suunto is just giving it a name for marketing. I have heard of practices mostly in conjunction with computers where the computer will adjust your accent rate at diffrent depths according to your max depth and time.

Since the computer dosent tell you this and what or why its changing its just another reason why DIR dosent use the computer, Haveing a good understanding of deco proceedures and mechanics is the best way to decide what to do and wereto do it in a dive.

From my understanding, depending on the profile, you could ascend up to 50fpm during the bottom portion of the ascent. Up to approx your first deep stop (I'm talking deco diving), and then from there a slower ascent is advised. This limits your ongassing to a minimum at the deeper depths.

jplacson:
A GUE friend of mine said that if you ascend too slow, you actually start loading N2 instead of gassing off.

Yes, but this is just basic Haldane deco theory.

[OUOTE=jplacson]
I just want to know what is the recommended ascent rate of GUE... cuz I try to stay slower than 1 bar on my Suunto (which I've noticed, even at it's fastest is slower than Uwatec's SLOWEST ascent rate)

What's GUE's stand on Suunto's claimed "cotinuous decompression" theory?[/QUOTE]

GUE does not recommend the use of a dive computer. I typically dive with a Uwatec Bottom Timer or a Suunto in gauge mode.

Enjoy

Marc Hall
www.enjoythedive.com
www.sdue.org

Yes, I know GUE doesn't recommend the use of a computer... But doesn't the Suunto's ascent monitor still work in gauge mode? I'm just wondering cuz each brand of computer has a different ascent rate scale... Suuntos being one of the slowest ones I've seen. Uwatecs have the adaptive ascent rate, but I was just wondering if it was safer to do the adaptive one of Uwatec, or the constant 'slow' one of Suunto.

jplacson:
Yes, I know GUE doesn't recommend the use of a computer... But doesn't the Suunto's ascent monitor still work in gauge mode? I'm just wondering cuz each brand of computer has a different ascent rate scale... Suuntos being one of the slowest ones I've seen. Uwatecs have the adaptive ascent rate, but I was just wondering if it was safer to do the adaptive one of Uwatec, or the constant 'slow' one of Suunto.

The dive team needs to stay together and ascend at the same rate. Each
team member needs to verify that they are ascending at the proper rate.
A simple timer and depth gauge will provide the verification that
the diver is ascending at the proper rate. The ascent monitors built into
dive computers are not needed.

Marc Hall
www.enjoythedive.com
www.sdue.org

Ok, thanks... another question on GUE's stand on the 3 min safety stop on a rec dive... IF missed, is it better for the diver to go back down to 20ft and complete the stop...or just have an extended SIT or stop diving for the rest of the day to help off gassing?

jplacson:
Ok, thanks... another question on GUE's stand on the 3 min safety stop on a rec dive... IF missed, is it better for the diver to go back down to 20ft and complete the stop...or just have an extended SIT or stop diving for the rest of the day to help off gassing?

Why would the diver not perform a proper ascent ??

Poor gas management, inability to perform a control ascent, or perhaps an inability to perform a control ascent during an air share.

If the diver is unable to perform a proper ascent, then they should be developing the skills required to do a proper ascent. Skills practice sessions should be part of your regular dive schedule. Of course it does help to practice the correct skills so training might be needed as well.

Marc Hall
www.enjoythedive.com
www.sdue.org

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom