GUE, DIR, and Philosophy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wetman once bubbled...
You know, its interesting how you hear of DIR guys and attitude in a lot of these posts. My bet is that if there were no such thing as DIR there would still be a lot of divers with attitude (DWA's) but just no definitive lable to associate with them. I've certainly come accross a few divers with heavy attitude since i've started and I don't think any would be classified as DIR.

steve

There probably are a bunch of non DIR DWAS but at least you can tell them apart, DIRs all look alike so they probably get more heat because of it. Maybe the other DWAS were DIRID (in disguise?)

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

Potato?
Dan, is that you?

I passed Calculus :doctor: and failed spelling :confused:

Go figure!

O-ring once bubbled...
Let's see...standard placement of equipment so we can find each other's gear in an emergency. A standard set of procedures for OOA so each knows exactly what to expect in that type of situation. All divers in the group having adequate lights for signalling. All divers using the same signals. Can I stop, please?

I'm still not convinced. The above doesn't come with standard equipment. The above can all be done with adequate experience with a buddy.

So let me rephrase my question. Say we get together and decide that we want to go do some difficult diving. We dive as a team together for a while, and then we move on to more difficult stuff. Is the process of building a trusted buddy relationship faster, slower, or undefinable depending on if we have a common configuration or seperate configurations?

What I'm questioning here is the belief that standardized equipment is a requirement for an effective buddy team. Getting familiar with your buddy's config isn't trivial, but it's going to happen while you work together building a trusted buddy team.

If I say I'm DIR and you saying you're DIR, and we both dress the part... does that shortcut any of the team building? My personal feelings are that if it does, then assumptions are being made that shouldn't be made.

What I'm questioning here is the belief that standardized equipment is a requirement for an effective buddy team.

I think it makes it easier..

Let's flip it. Why should I dive non-standardized gear configurations?

O-ring once bubbled...
I think it makes it easier..

Ok...

Let's flip it. Why should I dive non-standardized gear configurations?

I'm not saying you should. I'm saying you should dive with whatever configuration works for you. You seemed to indicate that a buddy team needs to have the same gear config to be an effective team... and I've yet to be convinced that there is any connection between an effective buddy team and the same gear config. I'm saying that you in BP/Wings and an SPG diving with Rick in a jacket BC and a console can be just as effective a team, in the same amount of time, or less, than the two of you teaming up with a standardized gear config.

I wonder if King Neptune (or his webmaster?) can be persuaded to put up a "dont feed the trolls" sign right up there next to the ScubaSource advert.....

I'm saying that you in BP/Wings and an SPG diving with Rick in a jacket BC and a console can be just as effective a team, in the same amount of time, or less, than the two of you teaming up with a standardized gear config.

And I am saying I don't agree. Why do we have to convince each other? You don't like the way I do it and my line of thinking and I don't like yours.

Blargh once bubbled...
put up a "dont feed the trolls" sign right up there next to the ScubaSource advert
Blargh... that probably wouldn't help any more than a sign that said: "Don't bite the hook!"

You could put up your own warning notices with post-it notes around the monitor...

O-ring once bubbled...
You don't like the way I do it and my line of thinking and I don't like yours.

I'll drop it and when I can formulate an appropriate thread, I'll start a new one. I didn't say I didn't like the way you do it, I'm saying I don't understand the reasoning...

I didn't say I didn't like the way you do it, I'm saying I don't understand the reasoning...

And I got tired of trying to explain it...maybe we need a break. Anyone up for diving?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom