GUE Fundamentals Final Report, Weekend 2 of 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Dan

I was reading your very interesting report as I planed to do the Fundi as well ... probably next year. Since I am living in germany I guess I'll try to do it with Tom Karch if possible.

May I ask what your certification was before you took the class and how many dives you did before?

thanks again
Franco

Jeff & I were pushing 200-250 dives a piece, and StreetDoctor was around the 100 dive mark. We all had rescue certifications and access to a GUE/DIR trained who was able to help demonstrate and then critique our in water skills. Before the class I would estimate that around 40-50 of our Pre-Fundies dives were fun/practice dives in doubles with the goal of taking the class in mind.

Of the above information, the only important piece of information that you should take from it is having someone to dive with, either before or after the class. If you can find a mentor in your area that has been through the class, it helps tremendously and leaves more of your Fundies class time refining the skills vs. learning them for the first time in the class.

If you can’t find a mentor in the area I would still recommend the class very highly but would at the least take the class with someone who you will dive with regularly. I only say this because I think it will help to further refine your skills when someone who knows what to look for can give an honest critique on skills.

All and all, our group had a great time diving preparing for the class and DIR has put us all on the same page with the same skill sets and situational awareness that frees our mind to enjoy our dives even more.

Check out the STICKY in the DIR Forum and see if there are any DIR divers in your area, I’m sure any of them would be more then happy to help you out.

Good Luck….

Congratulations! It's great to see that you got so much enjoyment out of it.

Jeff & I were pushing 200-250 dives a piece, and StreetDoctor was around the 100 dive mark. We all had rescue certifications and access to a GUE/DIR trained who was able to help demonstrate and then critique our in water skills. Before the class I would estimate that around 40-50 of our Pre-Fundies dives were fun/practice dives in doubles with the goal of taking the class in mind.

I would add that if you're gunning for a tech pass this level of preparation is somewhat helpful (although be wary of engraining the wrong way to do skills), but in general people should just take the class when your buoyancy is decent (10 foot window is probably fine). I took it at right around 30 dives and don't regret it.

well fundies, in my humble opinion will be the toughest class of your career. once you have the fundamentals of diving and the timing of diving in your muscle memory, you will find all the rest of the classes challenging but no where near the heightened level of fundies. The fact that you held your own in cold water, stress and new buddies only proves that you have well earned a pass and kudos to you.
what you have learned will be the foundation of all your dives from now on.

wendy

well fundies, in my humble opinion will be the toughest class of your career. once you have the fundamentals of diving and the timing of diving in your muscle memory, you will find all the rest of the classes challenging but no where near the heightened level of fundies. The fact that you held your own in cold water, stress and new buddies only proves that you have well earned a pass and kudos to you.
what you have learned will be the foundation of all your dives from now on.

wendy

Now get off your butts and dive! Don't let those T1 cards just gather dust :)

Tom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom