GUE Fundamentals or similar near Denver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Michael Thornton @ Dive Addicts is a fundies instructor based out of Utah, but he does some traveling courses. Might be worth reaching out to him if you are interested in going that route.

2) @boulderjohn - tried to DM you but since I lurk too much, I need to post 5 times to DM :) would be interested to connect if you’re still doing that workshop. Sounds interesting.
Sorry, but I retired from instruction last year.

Reviving this thread for a few reasons…

1) OP - what did you end up deciding? I’m in the same boat in Denver metro now - looking to build upon my skills with an intro to tech/fundies style course.

2) @boulderjohn - tried to DM you but since I lurk too much, I need to post 5 times to DM :) would be interested to connect if you’re still doing that workshop. Sounds interesting.
The folks at Dive Addicts in Utah are the closest to you, I think. I run an ITT/Tech Sidemount that is on par, but I don't generally teach students in backmounted doubles (my shoulder issues).

If you're free this weekend, I'm running an Advanced Buoyancy Control and I have one vacancy right now. DM me if you want more info. . .

Boulderjohn - dang. Had a hunch that might be the case. Thanks for your posts here - been learning a lot.

Viking - Still have to make a few more posts before I can PM. Could you start a thread with me? Can’t make it this weekend, but interested in hearing more about your training. Appreciate the invite.

Boulderjohn - dang. Had a hunch that might be the case. Thanks for your posts here - been learning a lot.

Viking - Still have to make a few more posts before I can PM. Could you start a thread with me? Can’t make it this weekend, but interested in hearing more about your training. Appreciate the invite.
Hey,

I'm happy to answer any questions you have...

Our advanced buoyancy control (ABC) class is basically, "pool fundies." The exit standards for our open water and ABC have the same requirements, and the goal is to get you good enough for a gue-level of tech pass.

Most of my/our students will not make it to a tech pass level over a weekend, and some have to come back to get certified. That said, this is a recreational class designed to get you to our exit standards for open water.

On the tech side, you're going to get a lot of other skills thrown in (valve drills, S-drills, mask switches, etc.). I prefer to teach in sidemount because I can't effectively reach my left valve in doubles since I had rotator cuff surgery.

I'll let students do ITT in doubles with the caveat that I can't effectively demonstrate that skill, and they feel confident that they can deal with that. It's generally not a huge issue, as I can coach you through the skill, but it's a limitation. Also, if you research ITT, you'll see that instructors are allowed to teach it to students in single-tank setups. I don't do that. Getting a tech cert from me means that you should have the foundation to go on to cave diving, and you can't get there on a single tank :)

For tech sidemount, it's the same skills as ITT, just learned in sidemount configuration. I ask that you take the introductory course on sidemounting.com (about $30) before the class starts, and that you please don't buy a new sidemount wing without talking it over with me. There's a bunch of junk out there and most of it is questionable or useless for tech diving.

There are probably a thousand questions I haven't answered above, so if you want to call, text, or email my contact info is below. I'll be in the classroom/pool from 8-6 this weekend, so I may not answer immediately.

edit: that was supposed to be a DM, so I'm taking my email and cell out and will send in a DM...

Reviving this thread for a few reasons…

1) OP - what did you end up deciding? I’m in the same boat in Denver metro now - looking to build upon my skills with an intro to tech/fundies style course.

I ran into the same issue mid 2022, ended up taking fundies in Cali then heading to tulum for cave. I live in conifer and always interested in diving and working on skill..... when I get back from Mexico

that's idiotic given that NAUI's intro to tech is basically the same course....
No need for name calling.

Gue fundamentals and naui intro to tech are absolutely not the same in any way. Like at all.

Gue fundamentals and naui intro to tech are absolutely not the same in any way. Like at all.
Its actually laughable how many times I've heard instructors say something like "My intro to tech class is the same as Fundies" or "I teach more than is taught in Fundies" yet their Intro to Tech class is taught in 2 days instead of 4 or 5. And, anyone who's taken Fundies knows there isn't a luxury of spare time to have cut...

My favorite was hearing that from someone who couldn't manage a tech pass when they took Fundies, let alone meeting the instructor standards for GUE. This isn't to say you can only get quality training in fundamentals from GUE, but that people making claims of parity should be able to "bring receipts."

Any of you Denver/Boulder area folks have a recommendation for something like the intro GUE courses locally? I don't have any immediate tech diving ambitions or even really need another card -- just want to become a better diver and maybe have an excuse to dive locally a bit this fall. Looking to know what I don't know and be a bit more self sufficient -- not necessarily a specific specialty/agency/etc.

Suggestions?

Thanks!
I took Flatiron's Rec & Tec Fundies courses and their NAUI Tech courses...the instructor, Rob, was great. I would call 303-469-4477 and ask for Rob, he is an owner. He is usually there Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays.

I called the shop and Rob no longer teaches thru GUE, only NAUI. If you are looking for an awesome instructor Rob is in Denver and you will still get all of the GUE Fundies skills plus the NAUI skills, just certified thru a different agency.. If you are looking for a GUE card, I cannot help you.

that's idiotic given that NAUI's intro to tech is basically the same course....
Not if you knew Rob's path. He first became a GUE Instructor and was the original GUE Instructors in Colorado (as far as I know). But trying to start his business, work a full time job and have a family, all in Colorado, he could not commit to the GUE Tech Instructor's Internship's durations in Florida for the higher certifications. NAUI fit his time & budget availability better at that time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom